1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

98 2.5 V6

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:16 AM
InfiniteZero
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 2.5 V6

I got the car not even a year ago and it's been a pretty smooth ride. I have a couple of questions that really don't apply to each other but I'll post them all here.

First off, I was wondering what kind of performance parts I could put on it. I just want a few simple and inexpensive tuneups that'll give it some extra power. Right now it's bone stock.

Secondly, I seem to be having a bit of a tranny problem. The car shifts fine but it's pretty jerky in between some gears, it's not always the same ones. I was wondering if there's something I can do to fix it or if I should just invest the money into a new tranny. Right now I'm planning a full on tuneup, flushing all the fluids in the car, changing the plugs and wires, but I'm not really sure where to go from there. I want to give it as much of a tuneup as possible without going overboard, so if anybody can tell me what else I should invest into it and about how much it'd all cost I'd appreciate it.

Feel free to give me any suggestions, money is really no issue so shoot away.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate any input.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:55 AM
InfiniteZero
Rookie
Default RE: 98 2.5 V6

I don't mean to double post, but I started checking back a few pages and found this:

ORIGINAL: bad venge

My 3.0 was $600 shipped with 8k miles ...
If you could PLEASE tell me where you got that from, especially if you can provide a link or a phone number I would appreciate it more than you could ever know. So far, every motor I look at is at least double that price so if I could find one for 600-1,000 I'd jump all over it.

Again, thanks in advance.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:46 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

car-part.com is a junkyard"website" it lists hundreds of yards all over the country I searched in my area then off there list and called around ... Asked a close one if they would price match for the motor ...

Old 09-22-2007, 03:23 PM
InfiniteZero
Rookie

So far having no luck with finding another engine.. what should I look for to try and find a 3.0L v6? Not sure what car it would come out of that would fit in the Venge.

If I can't find the right motor to do the swap, I was wondering what parts I should do for the tune-up? Haven't had anybody reply to that yet. As I said in the last past I know I want to do all fluid flushes, then change the plugs and the wires.. but, I'm not too sure where to go from there. Any help is greatly appreciated as I want to get my Venge back in tip top condition.

EDIT: Also just wanted to throw in that when I reverse I get a greyish-blue smoke coming from the exhuast.. it doesn't do it in any other gear or any other time other than in reverse and only when I first start the car and drive. I was wondering if any of you knew what the problem could be or if it's a problem at all.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:59 PM
josef15111
Veteran

try looking under a 2001 eclipse 3.0 and put in your zip and stuffand "poof" you got a motor

Old 09-22-2007, 06:07 PM
InfiniteZero
Rookie

So, I was just talking it out with a pal of mine whether to do the swap or not and we decided to just rebuild the whole engine itself. I've done a little looking around from Silvercoupes car and other cars on Car Domain and I was wondering what the main things I would want to change if I was decided to turbo charge it. I'll be quite frank and honest that I'm not too intelligent when it comes to car, so any help about where to start and what should be changed/left alone/swapped would be great, thanks in advance guys.

[IMG]local://upfiles/73189/73C4162853E8468AB701CD26D89CA436.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-22-2007, 08:05 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 2.5 is a terrible canidate for a turbo ... there is only one company that makes a turbo kit and they are over $4k ... plus with your engine issues you'd need a total rebuild with $2k/$3k price tag...
If you search there is a 3.0 swap thread I posted it has ALL the info on Motor donor cars ...
There's also a thread on tuneup parts that YOU posted in to ...

Old 09-24-2007, 12:24 AM
InfiniteZero
Rookie

Sheeesssh. Just got done doing a tune up: oil change, new K&N air filter, Bosch oil filter, all new spark plug wires, new dual spark plugs and just topped off the brake fluid and the transmission fluid.

First off.. I didn't realize how much of a bitch it was going to be to get to three of my spark plugs, removing the air intake manifold was beyond ridiculous but I definitely learned a lot today, haha.

Secondly, just wondering what else I can do to add that like-new feeling to the motor. Right now she's purring like the day I got her and the power has returned. So like I said, any other suggestions for tuning it up and any little bolt ons other than a turbo that I can throw on are appreciated.

Also, thanks for all the quick replies and the good info bad venge, you definitely seem like the man to go to for info.