1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Alternator/battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 03:07 PM
yanickee
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator/battery issues

Hey,
First of all, I completed 6G72 swap (pictures and commentsto come)! Was a little challenging, but everything worked out to be just fine!
Now, I have some issues with my charging system I guess! I was driving around couple of days ago when my battery light came on (was kinda pushing my car to see the difference - 2 gear redline), so I turned off everything that might eat up charge (fog lights, radio, dimmed the cluster)! Everything was fine until the next day! First, my radio died on a parking lot, so I had to stop, restart the car, and it came back on along with my lighter (radar hooke up). So I was about to stop to get something to drink at a gas station and the car died! Called up my friend, we jump started it, and I drove home (7 miles or so), no major problems (had to keep high rev just in case, but I made it).
I replaced my alternator couple of days ago while doing swap. Went to Advance Auto Parts to test my battery and alternator. Battery-passed, alternator-passed the voltage, but the amps were kind of low (70). Checked the fuse box (besides some shortage[fog lights/parkinglights wiring]), everything looked fine, did 3000rpm test, light did not come on! Battery is a brand new one.
So, I am confused.

P.S. I also have 2x12"subs, 2 amps no cap, So I was thinking maybe I was running my stereo too hard that it took all the power. However, it was fine with an old alternator!

Old 09-25-2007, 04:00 PM
josef15111
Veteran
Default RE: Alternator/battery issues

Check the grounds man i had a problem just like that did the big 3 upgrade and was good, i think the grounds on our cars are total junk i would replace them if they look old or bad.

Joe p.s cant wait to see the swap pic's they will come in handy when i do mine in the spring.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:02 PM
josef15111
Veteran

Oh yea forgot to mention that the PCM holds the regulator so maybe it is going bad.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:49 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

70 amp is pretty low .. should be 110 amp ... I'd try to disconect the amps and see if it keeps up better

Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 PM
yanickee
Professional

I had everything turned off, nothing is running! Battery light came on again after I stepped up on a throttle a little, so decided to take out my alternator and test it tomorrow, if it is low-I'll just get a new one, if not, will have to find out what is wrong i guess
I will keep you updated!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:04 PM
josef15111
Veteran

Wow how many times you taking that thing out? LOL i hated doing mine i did it once and it took like 5 hours it sucked bad. have you thought about just getting a H.O. alt? it would help out a lot with the system. got a good optima? just a few thoughts

Joe

Old 09-26-2007, 02:53 PM
yanickee
Professional

I can do alternator change like in an hour now! In and out! So if anyone needs detailed info with socket sizes and some tricks I've learnt, can post details!
No, I don't have an Optima, thinking about it but price is kinda scary! So I will unplug my stereo and wait till I get my cap installed! Never thought about HO alt, too late now, so I'll stick wth my refurb.
As soon as I have time I will post my swap write-up with some pics (mostly mods you need to do), I will combine it with ERT manual and some pics I found online, so we can have a full detailed manual floating around!

Old 09-26-2007, 02:58 PM
yanickee
Professional

Quick question, does anyone know if you have to pay for the suspension inpsection at a dealer to check and see if your ball joints and lower control arms are fine? I had to pay 60 bux I recall! Cause I getting a creeky noise on passenger side (control arm), and a clicking noise (ball joint)you can hear and feel going over the bumps/holes and when you accelerate sometimes!

Old 09-26-2007, 04:54 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont waste your money on a cap ...
I have never paid for the recall check ...

Quick Reply: Alternator/battery issues