1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Something Fried

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:40 PM
stewdog9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something Fried

Hey, i was wiring up my undercar neonsand dome lights up to switches i hooked up to my center console, i must of wired something wrong or used too small of wire because the wires melted a little bit and now the dome lights and the parking lights dont work and when i turn the key to turn the car on, the starter doesnt even turn over. when i turn the key, I hear a click under the climate control and the relay on the firewall all the way towards the drivers side clicks, and theres a click sound from the abs box, these are probably normal start up sounds but i dont know why it wont fire up, is there a relay or fuse i might have fried, i unplugged the switches and everything and still no start, btw all the gauge cluster lights work like the oil and check engine lights, but not the night glow up lights. its a 1996 dodge avenger 2.0L 420a with auto tranny. Could i plug in a code reader to find the problem?

Thanks,
-Brett

Old 10-02-2007, 10:40 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Something Fried

It's electrical in nature I'd guess you popped a fuse or two ... You'll have to look and see the ones that went ... Did you check the underhood fuses ??? I'd guess you popped one under there and possibly one inside the car ..
No code reader will show fuses

Old 10-02-2007, 03:34 PM
stewdog9

all the fuses in the underhood fuse box are fine

Old 10-02-2007, 05:40 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

what about the under dash ones ???

Old 10-02-2007, 08:14 PM
stewdog9

the under dash ones are all fine too, theres just one fuse box under the dash on the left side right?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:21 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

correct ...
what wire where you tapping for power ???

Old 10-05-2007, 11:13 PM
stewdog9

the switchesi used light up when you turn them on, so they have a power + / Ground - and an accessory acc. terminal to plug in the wires, for the power and ground i spliced into the little led under the center console so when i turn on my running lights, my switches light up. For my acc. wire i plugged in the stereos 12V+ switched red power wire. My friend told me that on some cars theres a hard wired fuse for most internal accessorys like lights etc. Is this true and if so where is it.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:10 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

OK first of the light segments are wired wrong the switches should only light when turned on ...
you should run power in for the accesories you are running then connect the ground lug to ground then the acc terminal to the accesories you are using... When you flip the switch it will light up and turn on the accesories

Old 10-09-2007, 08:59 PM
stewdog9

thats the wayi had them, but i unplugged all the wires and my switches, and i still have the problem.

Quick Reply: Something Fried