1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 06:43 PM
dragogt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating

I've got a 96 w/ a 2.5 V6 auto, that I cant get to stop over heating,first it looked like the rad had a couple pin holes in it so I ran some stop leak and that fixed that,

then the low side fan went out and I replaced it w/ an aft market one from AdvanceAuto (12" # 226112) that I tied into the motor side on the other fan, so both came on at the same time and that seamedto work for as little bit then it started spiking out the Temp gage on thecar again,

next I tried flushing out the rad and block, bydisconnecting the top hose and w/ the engine running sticking a garden hose in the rad neck.did that until I got clear water running out of the block and that helped some

next Ireplaced the thermostat w/ one from O Reilly's,(what a PITA) and that helped for a little bit but it's still spiking the gage out

anyideas tips tricks things I missed cuz it's really starting to **** me off

Tks Drago

Edit......

No water in the rad and none in the the oil

Old 10-09-2007, 07:30 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: overheating

I'd try a radiator cap ... if the spring is weak it'll spike the temp

Old 10-09-2007, 07:44 PM
dragogt

thought about it just hadn't got that far, what about the water pump of big of a painis it to change?

Old 10-10-2007, 08:59 AM
dragogt

looks like it the water pump - keep therpm's below 2k it dosent get hot, so how big of pain is it to change and when I lookedup the price online, (Autozone)they said to replace the timing belt at the same time. So on ascale of1- 10 how bad is the job?

Old 10-12-2007, 12:25 AM
gumpster

Only reason to change a water pump is if its leaking. Stop leak products are really good at clogging radiators.

Changing a water pump and timing belt is a big job. Maybe take the car to a radiator shop and see if they can test the radiator for flow. It may be clogged.

Quick Reply: overheating