1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

please help..trans is acting up =[

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 04:08 PM
95avenger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help..trans is acting up =[

my car will run fine for a while when i first start to drive , but will then downshift unexpectedly and get stuck in the low gear. (BTW my car is an AUTOMATIC) ne way i can then prettymuch put the peddle down and have my engine revup while in gear and slowly accelerate! i probly screwed itup by always shifting to low and engine breaking to a stop/ but it had never had this problem b4. it wont shift, and it wont accelerate when i need it to. i can accelerate slowly tho by giving it a lil gas, but if i give it more it will just rev up and slowly accelerate=[[ transmition fluid is good, and i had an oul change like 1,000 miles ago. please help me w/ any info thanks

Old 10-18-2007, 05:56 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: please help..trans is acting up =[

You are likely in "limp mode" it's a tranny default to get you home or to a shop ... you need to get a dealer or shop to scan the TCM to tell you whats wrong , possibly the speed sensor or the relay pack ...

Old 10-19-2007, 01:48 PM
95avenger

thanks i'll go to my dealershi[p and have them take a look at it.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:45 PM
95avenger

well, my car is at the dealership, they said it read high levels and clutch failure &that there was pieces of somethingin the panwhen they took it off, they can rebuild it for at~LEAST~ $1,200. IF i can find one, or if they doits $65 an hour and claim it'll take like 7 hrs + price of a used transmission.

I am looking for a used transmission with 1 year warranty!! i found a couple on ebay..but most have no warranty or like 90 day warranties or less=[

Old 10-29-2007, 10:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

You can get a dodge reman trans thru the dealer and get a 3year or 36k warranty.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:04 PM
95avenger

i found out im not doing ne thing thro a dealership! just picked up my car yesterday, they charged $140 to read the TCM and fill fluid and replace filter...took hour and a half. IT is still broke and runs same as b4 i took it there. (kinda wish i never went to dealership...but ahwell, if it was a easy fix it would b done.)

they say " it slips bad...scan tested had clutch volume codes...pulled and checkedpan..has part of a snap ring and other debris..will need rebuilt or replaced..est $1250 minimum"

is this an easy rebuild..like just replace clutch, or should i buy another trans? i kno someone to put one in for $100-$250 or so. ALL I KNO IS I CAN GET IT FIXED FOR LESS THAN A GRAND EASILY!

Quick Reply: please help..trans is acting up =[