1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

eratic idling

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:04 AM
offduty97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eratic idling

I need help! I just purchased a 1996 avenger es with a 2.0 motor. Last night I was performing basic maintenace on it. I replaced the PCV valve, spark plugs, and wires and when I started it up it is idling a little rough. It is not giving me a check engine light and it is not to the point that itwon't drive but I can here and see it on the tach that it is just a little off. I checked the valve (good) and the wires all are tight and connected. Could it be the brand of spark plugs I used ? I put Autolite platinum #AP3923. I know I have heard that some cars are picky about plugs I just don't understand how it could be missing with all new parts? Like I said I am new to this forum so be nice and I look forward to all of the information that is available here. Any other things that I should look for with this car, I already know about the ball joint recall and I am contacting the dealership this morning. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:02 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: eratic idling

I'dcheck the IAC motor they tend to gum up and cause erratic idle ....

Old 10-22-2007, 07:14 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

I was inddling at 1,200rpms I check alldata we suppose 2b around 8 so I did my sparkplugs and wires and she had trouble idling it would alwasy fluctuate like I was messin with the A/C button. But now its back to normal. I was thinking it might be the the were cheap plugs or prolly my O2 sensor haven't changed that yet.

BV- What is IAC Intake Air Cleaner, Idle Air Control???

Old 10-22-2007, 08:05 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Idle Air Control ... located on the TB ...

Old 10-23-2007, 01:41 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

Is it that lil rubber tube that runs off the TB? I know its kinda messed up the rubber on it is worn I want to replace the line but I can't seem to follow it. But if I take it off it idles higher if I leave it on it kinda studders then goes back to normal

Old 10-23-2007, 08:05 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It's actually inside the TB ....

Quick Reply: eratic idling