1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Possible Head Gasket Issue (coolant in the oil)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 11:03 PM
98silveravenger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Head Gasket Issue (coolant in the oil)

I have a 98 2.5L V6 Avenger. I've had MANY issue w/ it. The latest is finding antifreezein the oil. I just did an oil change last week. Well, I've had an issue w/ losing oil lately, so I checked the oil level yesterday to see if I had lost any oil, and as I pulled the dipstick out, half way down I noticed coolant. As I got down to where the oil level should be, I found the oil to be a greenish color (from the coolant of course). Also, the coolant reservoir bottle was empty (when it was at proper level when I did the oil change). I've asked around, and most everyone asked 2 things: did the oil look milky and is there smoke coming out of the exhaust? The answer is NO for both. I've been told that if those 2 were happening, it would be the head gaskets. But since the oil is semi clear (since it's still new) and no smoke is coming out of the exhaust, no one is sure what the problem could be. One person told me it could be a leak in the intake gasket, which is letting coolant seep in and sit on top of the oil??? Does that sound right?? I don't want to pay for an expensive head gasket replacement if I don't have to. Any suggestions on what could be causing coolant to mix w/ my oil would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Possible Head Gasket Issue (coolant in the oil)

Head gasket or cracked head... the intake has no cooling so that won't do it

Old 11-18-2007, 10:21 PM
98silveravenger

Have you heard of Blue Devil Engine and CoolingSealant?
http://gouniversalproducts.com/product_overview.html It's website claims, "Has the remarkable ability to repair and seal leaks in freeze plugs, leaking radiators and heater cores, cracked or warped heads, even a blown head gasket." It cost $60 a bottle. Has anyone ever used this stuff or know someone who has and what results did you get? I'm trying to fix it w/o having to spend hundreds of dollars, and be carless for days. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:39 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd avoid any bottle stuff that claims that ... It'll gum up the rest of the engine

Old 11-19-2007, 05:18 PM
98silveravenger

Thanks. I'll start calling the local shops and see about getting the head gaskets done then.

Quick Reply: Possible Head Gasket Issue (coolant in the oil)