1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Tranny leak - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:31 PM
gshock87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny leak - need help!

Hi, I have a 97 Avenger (automatic) that had a tranny leak. It appeared to be coming from the trans axle seal so we replaced that. No luck though - it started leaking in the same area. It only leaks when it gets warmed up - I have not noticed any leaking once it cools down. Any ideas?

Old 12-01-2007, 10:55 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tranny leak - need help!

Inboard between engine /tranny??? or outboard (Axle)??? Are you positive the tranny cooler lines aren't leaking and running down the tranny to the seal ???

Old 12-01-2007, 11:14 PM
gshock87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure about the inboard or outboard deal - you will have to forgive me as I am not very mechanically inclined. I have someone that had the car before me working on it and he replaced the trans axle seal - he said that in order to replace it the whole tranny had to be pulled out (hope that tells you something). And no, we don't know if it is the tranny cooler lines leaking. My Uncle (who was a mechanic) said it looked like to him that it was an axle seal and the guy that is working on it thought pretty much the same thing. But after I took it back to him when it was still leaking he checked the old seal & didnt see any tears/rips in it. Someone else mentioned that possibly if the seal had shifted around enough that maybe the shaft had gotten worn down & the seal was not sitting tight thus the leak. Also, I was told that if it only leaks when it is warmed up that it didnt sound like the tranny cooler lines but like I said I don't have alot of knowledge when it comes to this kind of thing.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:43 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the tranny had to be pulled it's the inboard one ,if that one was leaking it would puddle in the middle of the car ...It sounds like the leask is the outboard seal, as you mention the Axle seal... When the tranny warms up the fluid will loose viscosity, Easier to leak
I have seen several with the rubber tranny cooler lines work loose when they heat up(get pliable)
When they leak I've found they run down the tranny under a plastic cover and then seek lowest point that ends up down by the axle area dripping

Quick Reply: Tranny leak - need help!