1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:06 PM
noregrets
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problem

I recently bought a Venge for my stepson. We got it cheap at an auction, and it was owned by Mexicans who don't speak any English. We replaced the ball joint and front axle after they broke and did body damage to the car (I told the idiot not to drive it until I could get it to Dodge to have it replaced under the recall). We also had a problem with a dead battery, but we figured a new battery would solve that. The new battery dies every night. There's a toggle switch under the steering wheel that seems to be run to the alarm. The other night the stupid thing mysteriously starts working and the horn goes crazy and the lights as well. So we disconnect the alarm (we are going to get D a better alarm on the car anyways) and we naturally thought that would fix the problem. Nope, still there. The check engine light is on, and since my husband has the day off tomorrow we're going to hook it up to the computer (I'll let you know what the codes say). Have any of you encountered anything like this?

Next--this is why I think the check engine light is on--the car runs like a dream until you get up on it. After that it seems to bog down (think carb that won't open and you'll get the general description of what I'm feeling). Of course I'll know more when I get the codes, but I'm thinking fuel filter or fuel injection problems. Any thoughts on this?

Ang

PS I'm asking now b/c tomorrow when we get the car in the shop I'd like to go ahead and start looking at some of you ideas instead of waiting to get it back in later. My grandmother has cancer, so my weekend time is precious, but I need everything on this car fixed by May.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:26 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: electrical problem

The stock alarm going off can normally be linked to bad door sensors ...Do the interior lights work properly ???

The battery dieing is an obvious drain, check the trunk light for staying on ...If it's not that then get an ampmeter or a test light.... ampmeter get it on the positive line and look at the reading,then start pulling the fuses till the reading goes down...
If all you have is a test light remove the negitive line,and connect the light to the negitive battery post and ground....It should glow the brighter the more current pull fuses to find the major current draw...Some current draw is normal,to hold radio stations ect...should be well under 1 amp..
Bogging down can be a vagriaty of things , since you are new to the car I'd highly recomend a good seafoam treatment and see if that cleans thing out and fixes the intake system...

Quick Reply: electrical problem