1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

dying venger

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:54 PM
armyvenge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dying venger

Hello gents, still having this prob. I have a 95 venge 2.0 5speed, it will cut off and die then just restart back up also the vehicle is surging down the road. I have litteraly changed every sensor but the knock,camshaft position and after cat o2. The one flaw i did was use a univeral o2 in the front thought i would save a couple $ but should have went stock. The CEL light at times will flash a 51(running lean)but when the car dies it will reset itself but i have no other CEL codes. Aslo lately my gas milage has just went to ???? used to get aroud 24mpg but getting around 16mpg. Again I have tried everything cleaning the grounds, seafoam, vacumm lines, relays fuel pump/filter. Here in NC i was thinking of gutting the CAT converter since the emission do not cover a 95. I have read similar posts but no one seams to post a cure to there vehicle if they find one would really like to get this car running fight so i could get to customizing it for my little girls first ride but dont want to put the money into it if it only looks good in the garage. Thanks for all the future help.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:12 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: dying venger

Intermittant shut down is likely the CPS (common trouble)...
or could be a clogged fuel filter (causing the lean run)
as for bad gas mileage It's likely a bad 02 sensor...

Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 PM
armyvenge

Bad venge are you talking about the crankshaft or camshaft i already replaced the crank, also I have replaced the fuel filter not to long ago, I'm thinking that i should have got a bosch instead of a universal o2 sensor maybe the rear o2 is bad. thanks

Old 01-16-2008, 10:15 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Crank sensor normally causes it to shutdown ...

Bad mileage with O2 sensors is hit and miss I bought one then passed it around till the mileage improved ...

Have you checked the relays???

Old 01-17-2008, 06:04 PM
armyvenge

Yes i replaced the asd and fuel pump and still had the same reaction, but i'm noticing that the colder outside it runs better untill it heats up i was thinking the pcm,

Old 01-17-2008, 09:25 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I've seen numerous CPS be heat intermittant ... They go out when they heat up ,I've used the freeze spray to get it to run again...bought another and replaced

Old 01-20-2008, 09:25 PM
armyvenge

Well I replaced the PCM and it seems to run ok for know, but the CEL light came on with a code 51(running lean) I think i might have a bad o2 sensor or IAC sensor which I bought used off of ebay. Does anybody have any hints.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:43 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Fuel filter??? as mentioned above it can cause fuel starvation if it's clogged

Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 AM
aveng_95

if your only getting 24 mpg at the best of times then you should look at the way you are driving. My 95 2.0/5speed gives me 37.5 mpg with 166000 miles on the clock in Canada and even in the winter.

Quick Reply: dying venger