1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

96 Avenger 2.5...will not turn over

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 04:47 PM
born4baseball
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Avenger 2.5...will not turn over

My 96 began to have electrical problems like the blinkers not working propeperly, the curise control not working, etc. Then one day the car decided to die, after much diagnosis, we got the car to finally crank by replacing the Starter. The car really wanted to start but it wouldn't turn over. At this point we smelled gas and pulled the plugs out and they were soaked in gasoline. We replaced the plugs and tested the wires. The car has spark as well. We soon took it to a dealership and they realized that the fuel injector was not seated propperly. We reseated and tested all the fuel injectors with an Oms meter, they were all good. My father seems to think that when we took off the intake manifold and replaced the vaccume lines, we hooked them up wrong, or there is a leak in the vac lines. I am like 95% certian they are all hooked up correctly. I think it might have something to do with the PCM/ECM computer and I don't know whats wrong. We are at a standstill because everything in chilton tells us to test the car with it running, and we can't get it to start in the first place. Anyone with some insite, I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:45 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 96 Avenger 2.5...will not turn over

same as on ASEC ... Check the relays and the CPS ... Test procedures above in the stickies

Old 05-14-2008, 02:22 PM
born4baseball
Default RE: 96 Avenger 2.5...will not turn over **update**

just wanted to give everyone an update...i've finally got the car running...apparently somehow the timing slipped, which makes no sence because i have a zero-interference engine, so who knows....but low and behold i started the engine the other day and put everything back together...The only problem is that 1) I have white smoke coming from the exhaust pipes, and 2) the idle is low...oh yeah...i still have all the electrical problems.....

I've looked up the white smoke, so far what i hear is that the smoke can be caused either by a blown head gasket or a cracked cylinder head, or because some coolent has gotten somehwere it shouldn't be...i've filled up the radiator, and the overflow resivour, and let it run, but it continues to put out white smoke (only when it is warmed up)....as for the low idle, i have had this problem before, and i can't remember what fixed it, however, i've seen it a million times on the forum, so i will look on another thread....the electrical problems still persist, i don't even want to think about those till the engine is working right.....and oh yeah, the back rotors either need to be turned or replaced.....so thats were we stand...thank all of you for all the help and advice so far..

MIKE[/align]

Old 05-14-2008, 08:47 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you POSITIVE there was no damage from the timing jump ??? My guess is there was damage that might have cracked the head

Low idle , have you seafoamed the intake ???

Old 05-18-2008, 12:46 AM
born4baseball

yeah, it was just the car burning off a lot of oil from the engine heating up...i guess i shoulda mentioned that the smoke wasn't coming from the tailpipe, n was from the block area....its fine now, i'm just working on getting this electrical problem solved, i think its got to do with the turning signal flasher relay swtich box....man diagnosing electrical problems is a nightmare

Quick Reply: 96 Avenger 2.5...will not turn over