1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

95 Avenger, OBD Scan Tools, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Res
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Avenger, OBD Scan Tools, etc.

Question, on the 95 Avengers, what kind of OBD do they have? 1 or 2? I had a CEL pop up and went to Autozone to check, they keep telling me they shouldn't bother to check since it's a 95 and not OBD2, but I have them check anyways because the connector appears to be OBD2. When they connect the scan tool it always errors out and they give up and I end up doing the keydance to get my codes.

Which I obtained 12 21 21 55 as my CEL codes, I get the battery disconnect part, but 21 twice? does that mean both my O2 sensors are bad? or what <scratches head>

Also, right next to the OBD2 looking connector there is a white what appears to be a 14 pin connector (missing the spots for pins 11 & 12), and only physically has 4 pins, pin 1-3 and 14. Any clue as to what this is for?

In closing, what scan tools do you use for the 95 Avenger, or know of that people have used for it?

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:40 AM
Goose
Default RE: 95 Avenger, OBD Scan Tools, etc.

Thats going to be an OBD-1 car, anything after 95 is OBD-2. I have no idea about the codes though refering to your O2 sensors. I'm kinda surprised that the parts store didnt have the right computer to read your codes, oh well. I dont know about the other connector, scanned through the chilton and didnt see anything about it, probably in there somewhere though. I hope this helps, not too much here though.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:44 AM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

96 and newer is OBD II. My car is a 96 only need that one black connector just to read codes. Your gonna need an OBD I scan tool and both connectors hooked up. That white one is another connect for the scan tool. Im pretty sure that you only need one to hooked up to read codes.

Sorry I don't know anything about the keydance.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:35 PM
cessna2004
Amateur

Your venge has an OBD1 hook up.....anything 1996 to most 2003 cars are OBD2. If you have a repair manual like Haynes or Chilton, they have error codes listed towards the back. Also be careful when you go to Auto Zone or a dealer for an error reading....trust me they don't always tell you EVERYTHING. I finally broke down and bought an OBD2reader on ebay for $50. Best thing I ever bought. I haven't seen OBD1 readers on there for anything but Honda, GM, and Ford but........you can buy a reader on there that does both OBD1 and OBD2. On ebay you can pick one up for about $120-$200. Depending on thecode reader you buy, some willdisplay the error code and tellyou what that code means. I hope the links below help. Like I saidbuying acode readerfor my 96 venge was the best thing I ever did.....no more dumbass dealers/parts stores bull****ting me!

OBD1 and OBD2 code reader
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACTRO...spagenameZWDVW

OBD1, OBD2, and CAN (2003-current) code reader
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Actro...spagenameZWDVW

Old 03-28-2008, 12:17 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been told that the 95/early 96 are obd1.5's they are not true 1's and not 2's you need a y adapter to get the codes ...

Quick Reply: 95 Avenger, OBD Scan Tools, etc.