1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Losing Gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:52 AM
cbook
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing Gas

Hello everybody I have a 99 2.5 L and my question isevery morning I lose alot of gas(for example) let say that my gas hand is at half a tank and when i drive to school thats about 20 miles away my gas hand drops between half and quarter tank is this normal???? but thanksin advance for yall replies.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:03 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Losing Gas

are you sure the neighbor isn't siponing off some at night ???
20 miles for 1/4 tank is very excessive , I get 300 miles per tank = 75 miles per 1/4 tank ...

could have a fuel leak , bad O2 sensor, or an evil neighbor stealing gas

Old 04-21-2008, 03:00 PM
cbook

I hope not i will check at nighti thought it is leak but only happens in the morning when the car is sitting overnight but during the day i getting get gas milage my gas barely goes down.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:57 AM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran

mine does the exact same thing... almost like when you leave the car sit overnite and start it up and drive it seems to go thru an ungodly amt of gas... but when its warm like you said it acts like normal and hardly ever moves.. pretty much when the engine is cold or w/e you can pretty much look at ur gas gauge one min and the next it will b below where it was!! its pretty annoying and i wanna figure out the prob 2 lol... My guess could it possibly a fuel sensor in your gas tank going bad cause my gas gauge tends to bobble sometimes like say i am at a half tank and the needle suddenly drops below half tank (as such in the morning) and if you keep driving a few more mins.. you will notice the needle will climb itself back up past the half tank mark? i really dont get it either.. [:@]

Old 04-27-2008, 11:29 AM
cbook

Yeah your are exactly right that what happens to mine I thought that it was my sensor as well. Because it tends to down one min then itgo back up. If you find out what it is let me know or if i find out then i will let you know.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:09 PM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran

ok... thank you... & i replaced all my O2 sensors about 6 months ago and i am not getting any CEL so doubtful it could be a faulty o2 sensor again.... but yes i would def. appreciate feedback if you are able to find out the prob.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:45 AM
aveng_95

Sounds a lot like a fuel tank float problem to me. Has any of you yo yo's checked you fuel mileage yet. Fill your tank, set yor trip odometer and drive the car till you reach say 200 miles then refill the tank. how many gallons did it take to drive 200 miles. So if lets say you refilled useing 10 gallons of fuel and had just ran 200 miles then your fuel mileage would be 20 miles per gallon. Simple math just take the number of miles divided by the number of gallons.Hmmm I'd be checking that first before changing parts. It's just like climbing a ladder you go one rung at a time to get to the top. Now go check your fuel mileage so we can figure out the problem.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:29 AM
tom01973
Rookie

If after checking the fuel milage as suggested before and the milage seems low you might check the temp. sensor.If it dosent tell the ecm the correct temp. at start up then the car will run rich until it warms up.Also is the thermostat working properly?A cold engine always uses more fuel to run.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:08 PM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran

im also having a prob with the Gas Guage.. like when i fill it up w gas it takes FOREVER for the needle to rise.. would this be the float prob... like it will take atleast 5 mins for the needle to rise to the right spot? cbook are u having this prob 2?

Old 05-01-2008, 12:54 AM
cbook

yes I am having the same problem too,andI always wonder why ittake so long to rise???? Man I forgot to mention it but, I glad that you did

Quick Reply: Losing Gas