1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Check Engine Light...EGR system fault, IAC circuit condition

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Mavman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light...EGR system fault, IAC circuit condition

the EGR said that Causes could be a failed EGR vacuum solenoid, Open or short circuit condition on the EGR solenoid circiut, EGR solenoid faulty, and 4 &5 are Failed EGR pressure sensor where applicable.

The IAC said causes could be Vacuum leak on engine, dirty throttle body (I am trying a throttle body cleaner to see if this helps), IAC motor defective, or Poor electrical connection to the IAC valve.

I am already looking up info as to how I could fix this but I would like your opinions as well so that I might get this to work. My car gets 2miles to a gallon when I drive it hard. hopefully I can fix it soon.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:01 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IAC is normally dirty or sticking ... Seafoam ussually clears that up, if it's EXTREMELY dirty pull the IAC and clean it by hand with scotchbrite and carb cleaner ... No electricals on it

EGR can also be cracked/rotted tubing(getting to be that age) look at the rear of the manifold (V6) and see if the tubes are rotted disconnected

Old 08-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Mavman
Professional
Default OK.....

I have a broken tube at the top of my valve cover (4cyl) that goes from the throttle body to the valve cover and also one from the valve cover to the air intake.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:15 PM
scatpackmopar
Veteran

2miles per gallon? typo? Should that be 22MPG?. Will the EGR systemt vacuum leak lower gas milage?

Old 08-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Mavman
Professional
Default No typo......

literally 2 miles a gallon but I was driving 90 - 110 but today i did and I drove 20 miles at 110 and I got there and back on about 2 gals. so it literally went from 2 per gallon to 20 per gallon fixing just a little hose.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:53 AM
scatpackmopar
Veteran

2 miles per gallon?? I drove 750 miles from North Carolina to Florida and made it in 10 hours once. That averages out to 75MPH over the entire trip. We stopped once for gas and two other times to use the bathroom and still made it in 10 hours. I hit 100 several times on that trip and maintained 85-95 for the vast majority of the trip. If memory serves me correctly I averaged 31-32MPG instead of the 34-35 taht I used to average on the same trip. Now I average 29-31 over the same trip driving mostly 65-80 and I can't figure out if it is the added ethonal in the fuel or if I have a slight problem.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:23 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Scat, it could be the added ethanol, since it burns faster than 89.
As for MPG + EGR, yes it can lower your mileage. The EGR system is there to fill in for gas. That gas is inert so it won't burn, but it does fill in for fuel, thus burns less fuel. The thought on that is inert gas emits less pollutants, blah, blah, blah. Yes, it's important to not emit such things, but the info is blah, blah, blah, lol.

Mav, since you found a bad hose, have you looked for any others? My rule of thumb is to replace all versus looking for the "needle." Hoses aren't expensive unless you buy performance silicone/braided/uber space composite products.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Mavman
Professional
Default Okay.

I have replaced the two hoses on the valve cover. I am now searching for additional hoses that need replaced. I haven't found any so far but I have discovered that I am burning oil. I dont know where I am burning oil but I know that my oil pressure is just below the optimum range on the gauge and that I have 150 - 180 PSI on all the cylindars so I dont know where I would be burning oil from.

Any Ideas???

Old 09-03-2008, 12:53 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

How long has it been since you changed out your PCV valve? Do you mean that your gauge shows just below middle while driving at a steady speed or that oil pressure doesn't go any higher than middle even while accelerating aggressively?
You could still leak some oil past the cylinders. If you think about it, the motors are getting old.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Mavman
Professional
Default Well.....

If I accelorate rapidly it will go up but whenever the speed is obtained that I want the oil pressure will always go back to where it was whether I'm going 30 or 130.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light...EGR system fault, IAC circuit condition