1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Multiple problems....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Mavman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple problems....

Okay guys I am back. Little trouble with my 95. I had to have some exhaust work done on it recently due to a split flexjoint. While my friend was welding it into place he noticed that my after-cat O2 sensor was not there. Instead there was a spark plug in the hole for it and there was no wiring harness for it at all. I was in autozone and advanced asking about it and they said that some 95's even though they are OBD II only had 1 O2 sensor. If this is correct I would greatly appreciate someone calming my worries about this. The reason why I believe them somewhat is because I do not get an O2 sensor failure on my check engine light.

The second thing is I recently cleaned my engine and since then my belt has been squeeling horribly. I mean it isn't loud or anything but even the smallest sqeek is horrible since I do all my own work. The belt is a gatorback serp belt that was replaced about 30 miles before the engine cleaning. I also tried the belt conditioner and it only helps if you spray nearly the entire bottle on the belt right after starting then just starts squealing after you start it next time. Also I was driving today and when I shut it off the belt was not squeeling so maybe it worked itself out.

The third thing is that when I am stopped completely while in drive my front actually rattles and sounds like something is loose. I dont know if my side engine mount needs replaced and this is what is causing it but also when I go over bumps and a moderate speed i heard a bump/rattle on the pasenger side under the hood so I am thinking that that may be the cause of that.

Forthly in the back on the passenger side I hear a rattling much like the one I experienced when my strut mounting bracket broke but when I checked it it is still in one peice. Rusty but in one peice. I am planing on changing out the bracket soon. The junkyard has a bracket that has no rust on a paint layer on it so that should hold up quite nicely since the one I already got off the car has so far.

Also in the rear my drivers side will experience squeeks whenever going above 15mph. I think it just may need a nice lubing but if anyone else has experienced this and it is actually something more serious please tell me.

That should be it and oh yea. I would like to know exactly how to change the serp belt. I mean I did it but I would like to know next time what is the easiest way. The way I did it was sliding the belt beside the pully and rad resevoir and getting under the car and having someone above the car making sure everything is lined up properly. Took about 25 mins. Anyone have an easier way???

Old 11-14-2008, 02:08 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mavman
Okay guys I am back. Little trouble with my 95. I had to have some exhaust work done on it recently due to a split flexjoint. While my friend was welding it into place he noticed that my after-cat O2 sensor was not there. Instead there was a spark plug in the hole for it and there was no wiring harness for it at all. I was in autozone and advanced asking about it and they said that some 95's even though they are OBD II only had 1 O2 sensor. If this is correct I would greatly appreciate someone calming my worries about this. The reason why I believe them somewhat is because I do not get an O2 sensor failure on my check engine light.

The second thing is I recently cleaned my engine and since then my belt has been squeeling horribly. I mean it isn't loud or anything but even the smallest sqeek is horrible since I do all my own work. The belt is a gatorback serp belt that was replaced about 30 miles before the engine cleaning. I also tried the belt conditioner and it only helps if you spray nearly the entire bottle on the belt right after starting then just starts squealing after you start it next time. Also I was driving today and when I shut it off the belt was not squeeling so maybe it worked itself out.

The third thing is that when I am stopped completely while in drive my front actually rattles and sounds like something is loose. I dont know if my side engine mount needs replaced and this is what is causing it but also when I go over bumps and a moderate speed i heard a bump/rattle on the pasenger side under the hood so I am thinking that that may be the cause of that.

Forthly in the back on the passenger side I hear a rattling much like the one I experienced when my strut mounting bracket broke but when I checked it it is still in one peice. Rusty but in one peice. I am planing on changing out the bracket soon. The junkyard has a bracket that has no rust on a paint layer on it so that should hold up quite nicely since the one I already got off the car has so far.

Also in the rear my drivers side will experience squeeks whenever going above 15mph. I think it just may need a nice lubing but if anyone else has experienced this and it is actually something more serious please tell me.

That should be it and oh yea. I would like to know exactly how to change the serp belt. I mean I did it but I would like to know next time what is the easiest way. The way I did it was sliding the belt beside the pully and rad resevoir and getting under the car and having someone above the car making sure everything is lined up properly. Took about 25 mins. Anyone have an easier way???
1 Yes I've heard that early production only had 1 O2 sensor ... With the sparkplug in there sounds like someone had a flamethrower exhaust ...

2) Recheck the tension on the belt ... They stretch at wear in , the cleaning is the icing on it

3) With foot FIRMLY on brake with car in gear have someone watch the engine for movement , while gassing it ... Rattles could be sway bar ends suspension troubles

4) bad wheel bearings on the noise ...

Old 11-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Mavman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OOOoooops

Forgot to state the the squeek in the rear when going over 15mph is only whenever on a not completely smooth road. Sorry about that. I retensioned last night and it stopped squeeking today when i shut it off so maybe it will be done.

Thanks BV for the help. I will try to tension it more if it continues squeeling. Right now I am off to the junkyard to find some parts.

"Goes and gets in car to listen to more squeeling"

Quick Reply: Multiple problems....