1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

odb 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 09:40 AM
romeo21
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odb 2

hey every one just want to say its good to be back ok now this is my problem i have a 99 avenger 2.5 and i cant get the odb 2 to work i have a check engein light on and i was wandering if there were any tricks i could do to find the code now i use to have a 96 dodge neon and there was a trick that if you turn the key 8 or 9 times the light would flash and tell you the code is there any thalg like that please help

Old 12-20-2008, 10:23 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

th 99 will not do the key trick ...Ours is not truly an OBDII , Autozone has an adapter and they can scan mine ...

Old 12-21-2008, 08:26 AM
romeo21
Professional

i have the code reader but when i hook it up i get nothing its like the reader gets no power i dont get it some people tell me its a fuse but all my fuses are good

Old 12-21-2008, 09:23 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is an adapter , from what I understand that we are OBD1.5 the obd1 wont work or the 2 won't work the adapter plugs into the end and adapts it to work ...

Old 12-22-2008, 07:51 AM
romeo21
Professional

and auto zone should have this part and another questoin when i bought the car it didn't have a cat on it i had one put on a magnaflow high flow cat i think that's why my check light is on now the the headers that are on it are factory i think (they don't look after market) ok now both o2 sencers are before the cat is that the was it is sapost to be ?

Old 12-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Mavman
Professional
Default with obd 2

there is one O2 sensor before and then one O2 sensor after the Cat. There are only rare occurences where this is not the case....

IE: My car is OBD2 and only has 1 O2 sensor and it is before the Cat.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:11 AM
deloreansteel

Most cars have 2 O2 sensors. They are often called the upstream O2, located before the Cat, and the Downstream O2, after the cat. On the 95 Avenger 2.5L, there are 2 O2 sensors, one on the top of the rear exhaust header, closest to the firewall that is a level 3 jalapeno rating to replace (out of 5 jalapenos) and the 2nd O2 sensor is on the exhaust pipe below the starter going to the front header. None after the Cat. (I guess its one of those rare cases) If the car is past 8 years old, it will be risky getting the O2 sensors out without stripping the threads in the pipe itself, so be careful.

As far as the OBD connectors, on my 95, 1 year before the OBDII standardization, there are 2 connectors, OBD1 and OBDII, one for the read interface, and the other to talk to the ECU. If the Avengers are the same up to 99, then you may need an adapter to read, AutoZone, Advance auto, or Oreilly may not have it. Remember, you will be talking to kids that only know what the computers tell them at the counter about your car, so you run the risk of misinformation being given to you. All you need to work there is a 5th grade reading level. You would have better luck asking a service writer or mechanic at the Dodge dealership if you are friends with any. Check the link below if you want to read up on some tools that will work on the hybrid OBD systems, like my 95.

http://www.automotive-diagnostic-too...T&Show=ExtInfo

This reader has the adapters you will need to make it read either OBD 1 or II. For mine to work, the OBD II scan tool parts stores have will not work by itself. I can read the codes, but it will not clear them. If your OBDII scan port will not power the tool, then there may be more problems at hand here. Follow the link below, and grab a multimeter and check the pins described as pin 4 and 16 for voltage, if none present, then you have more broken then you thought. BTW, make sure the key is in the on position, you should see the check engine light on, OBD port will not have power otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II#OBD-II

Google is my friend. hope this helps

Last edited by deloreansteel; 01-06-2009 at 04:14 AM.