1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Tranny problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:02 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those hoses are inexpensive and easy to replace. If I were in your shoes I'd replace it. The pop could've been something on the road catching the hose. The only other alternative to the hose is the front pump seal on the torque converter blowing out. You wouldn't hear any noise, the tranny would start leaking between the bell housing and engine block and start slipping badly.If it runs pretty normally, just leaking, it is a hose leak or a hole in the trans cooler in your radiator. Good luck and if it is the front pump seal, bad is right. Go online or to the local wrecking yard for a TESTED and GUARANTEED(at least 30 days) used tranny. If your near a major city, it should be in the $800-$1500 range. If your like me and in BFE, probably looking at $2000-$2500.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Mavman
Professional

so i think the input shaft seal is out. also i think the gears have ground down a little. Should i replace with another auto or a 5 speed so the tranny wont go out again as easily???

Old 02-19-2009, 08:41 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The swap will require extra work as the pedals/clutch slave cylinder , shifter and linkages will need installed ... There will be a lot of drilling to mount the slave on the firewall ect
It comes down to you ... most shops will not do a "swap" so that leaves YOU ...

Old 03-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Mavman
Professional
Default Ok......

so i wanted to know if anyone had ever heard of the Neutral safety switch connector being different on the same tranny. I contacted this place and they said they needed the connection type so that they would be able to send the right tranny. Regrettably the transmission got lost in shipping and now they want me to send my tranny to them so they can remanufacture it. Isn't a remanufacture done at a dealership???

Old 03-24-2009, 06:20 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

THe 95/96 have a different one then the 97+ remanufacturing is just like rebuilding it , a tranny shop can do the same thing

Old 03-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Mavman
Professional

They have told me that the 95 has a differenet tranny than the 96 and since mine was an early production there are three different styles of plugs for the neutral safety switch and that there are two plugs for it also. Any idea what that is about. Also should i just get a simple rebuild done or have a remanufacture??? Is there really any difference???

Old 03-27-2009, 09:30 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I only see two neutral safety switches the 95/96 and the 97+
unsure what the third one would be ...
Remanufactured are "suposed"to be all new internal parts
Rebuild they replace broken/damaged /worn parts ...

Quick Reply: Tranny problems.....