1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Tranny problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Mavman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny problems.....

Ok so I was just driving along and I hear this POP followed by this rubbing sound. Turns out something blew in the tranny and now fluid is leaking from the joint where the engine and tranny meet along with the whole underside of the engine and transmission being soaked with tranny fluid. any ideas what could have happened. the tranny didnt drop out of gear or anything else till I stopped the car. Then it was in limp the way home.....think that is because the fluid was leaking out....and then while getting it on the curb the car dropped out of drive.....i think at this point it had no more fluid. I am waiting for the rest of the fluid to stop falling before I take the pan off and see if the filter was bad and could have contributed to a blow in the transmission or if it is just the pan gasket.

Help is greatly appreciated.....

Please help me BadVenge......

Old 02-17-2009, 11:30 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm betting the pin came loose and broke the case ... just a guess

Old 02-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Mavman
Professional

how would i be able to find out and also where can i get a new tranny if the case is broke

Old 02-17-2009, 11:35 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

New tranny are hard to find and big $$$ A rebuilt is easy or a used one from a junkyard are easier ... Also depending on damage they can weld up the hole of it's not too bad

Old 02-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Mavman
Professional

How small the hole have to be and how much is a typical rebuild???

Old 02-17-2009, 11:45 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Depends on condition of the tranny , I've seen $400/$800 on a rebuild from a descent independant tranny shop ... Unsure what AAMCO charges ...
Case damage it depends on location and any internal damage...

Old 02-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Mavman
Professional

ok say I get a 5spd from the junkyard to change out so I have a manual instead of an automatic. What all would I need and how much time and also what cluthes, plates, and other equipment would you suggest???

Old 02-17-2009, 12:01 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

There is only ONE 5 speed V6 , and Disturbing Motorsports did it ... No "kit" out yet ...

Old 02-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Mavman
Professional

well mines a I4 but anyway I crawled under her and I think I have found the problem but I need to know if my thinking is correct. If the transmission only gives higher pressure whenever it is in a gear then I think I have found the problem. There is a patch on one of the trans cooler lines and I was drying it off and I felt it move. I tried to move it and it moves reallly easily back and forth so I think that it may be the culperate. The line of fluid vapor on the bottom of the car back to the cat is also a perfect straight line behind it. The patch also looks like it was wider on one side then the other and the wider side is on the side where the line is. Also there seems to be a trail on the skidplate under the oil pan back to the cat and if you count how fast I was traveling in town then it looks like the wind would push it back just enough to be the culperate. Any ideas???

Old 02-17-2009, 02:02 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

tranny will have pressure when the motors on ...A leak in the HP hose would splatter everything pretty bad

Quick Reply: Tranny problems.....