1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Forced induction v-6?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:17 PM
COYOTE102076
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pinging is usualy a sighn of improper ignition timing. Buy or borrow a timing light to verify your timing. Follow all the steps exactly as laid out in the Chilton's manual. You can also try an octane booster, or , buy premium gas at the pump. If it is pinging, this will help some, but it is not a cure. Set the timing asap.

Now: 2) If the "pinging" is something else, who knows. You might get a freind to ride in the back seat, then in the front, and see if they can help you pinpoint where the noise is coming from. The exhaust should not ever ping. May rattle, but should not ping. At 86k miles, you mat as well get a complete tune up while you are checking the timing. It will cost about $100 in parts, but would be well worth it.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:59 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd do an oil flush .... The lifters get noisey with partly blocked passage ways ...

Old 04-24-2009, 02:02 AM
orangejulius

first off, sorry i kind of took this thread over..

but since were on this subject of engine noise..

i listened to many "pings" and "knocks" on youtube from others who had trouble, and i don't think thats what my engine does..

mine only happens when i'm driving, even if i idle and rev it doesn't do it
it happens when switching gears, before or after switching gears etc. and around 2-4k rpm is the most frequent

it's more of a squeak than a ping, or extremely rapid pinging to the point of where it sounds like one constant noise.. i don't think it's the belts because trust me i've heard those before and those squeak like heck..

i replaced the spark plugs a while ago, maybe one of the covers came off under the manifold? that would suck... but even then it would ping and knock wouldn't it? and also i would feel loss of power?

i don't feel any loss of power from normal, i'm trying to use highest octane at the pump to try to help, and still nothing...

if i can record it while driving i will post it on youtube or something.. it truely is scary sounding, like a ****ty car sounding lol..

Old 04-24-2009, 08:15 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a stethescope and LISTEN to the Valve covers ....

Old 04-25-2009, 12:51 PM
orangejulius

well i spent about 20 minutes with my dad in the car then we switched so he was driving and we listened to everything, i think the conclusion is it's probably a loose baffle in the exhaust..

the other sound when it down shifts sounds like a bike chain switching gears but thats probably just my transmission being a dodge transmission lol

oh well...

Quick Reply: Forced induction v-6?????