1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Damp Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 01:07 PM
joedago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damp Engine?

I have a 2000 Avenger 2.5L. It has a custom hood on it that has openings in it. Usually when it rains, I cover the hood with a piece of plastic but I forgot to last night. After ALOT of rain last night, I get in the car and start it to leave and its running like crap. The CEL is often blinking but sometimes goes solid while I drive it. Im assuming the engine is just soaked and needs to dry. Just wanted to see if anyone thought it might be something else besides just a wet engine. Thanks for any suggestions that may come.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Ridge

I would take it up to autozone if you have one. They do free odb2 test on it to see what code your engine is showing. It could even be an electrical short somewhere. My 2000 has had a few electrical problems.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:37 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CEL flashing is a misfire ... Likely due to WET plugwires or pooling in the plug wells
We made a Plexi cover for my buddies hood screw it on with wingnuts when rain is due ...
Also they sell a spray waterproofing for plugwires ect (spray the rotor ect as well)

Old 04-26-2009, 08:25 PM
candacebadie
Rookie

Yup, moisture is your electrical systems worst enemy and because of your open vent system I would take extra precautions, replace the damp plugs and wires (or use some CRC wire drier), use the dielectric grease for the tips and the water-proofing spray.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:01 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm assuming that you have the "EVO" style hood..
We cut the plexi and put weatherstripping around it then put 4 bolts in each corner with a nut to hold it in place you put it in from behind then have 2" plexi washer to go over the bolts then wingnuts to hold it in place

Old 04-27-2009, 02:44 PM
joedago

Just googled the EVO hood. Not quite what I have. Mine actually has more openings in it. Tried to start it up again today after it had a chance to dry out. Seemed fine until I started to drive it then same old misfire blinking CEL garbage. Gonna do the plugs and wires in a lil while and see if it changes anything.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 PM
joedago

Well, plug and wires seems to have solved the misfire. Running great again.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:27 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Till they get wet again ...

Quick Reply: Damp Engine?