1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Engine stumbles then turns off

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Igotthis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stumbles then turns off

I got a 2000 dodge avenger its automatic engine is a 2.5 6 cylinder
the problem that occurs is that when i turn it on then engine runs fine, when i accelerate the engine starts to stumble and slowly decreases in power and turns off.I thought it was the cat converter but its not an i thought it was the O2 sensor but that works fine as well too. well atleast it seems to work fine.this used to not happen it recently started happening after we took the engine apart to replace the head gaskets and water pump. Im all out of ideas on what to check next. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 PM
blkvet95

I assume the SES light isn't on, but check for codes anyway and let us know.

You had to disconnect the battery so its going to run like crap for the first few minutes anyway.

Start it and give it a little throttle to keep itr from stalling and let it run for 5 minutes.

It should smooth out and run better onnce it goes into closed loop and then the fuel trim will be adjusted.

Then the nexy step would be to drive it up around 40 mps and then letting off the gas and let it coast so the IAT can recalibrate.

If you can't complete the above steps and keep it running, there is probably something disconnected or possibly the timing belt wasn't reinstalled correctly.

Hopefully a code will point us in the right direction.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:31 PM
blkvet95

I assume the SES light isn't on, but check for codes anyway and let us know.

You had to disconnect the battery so its going to run like crap for the first few minutes anyway.

Start it and give it a little throttle to keep it from stalling and let it run for 5 minutes.

It should smooth out and run better onnce it goes into closed loop and then the fuel trim will be adjusted.

Then the nexy step would be to drive it up around 40 mps and then letting off the gas and let it coast so the IAT can recalibrate.

If you can't complete the above steps and keep it running, there is probably something disconnected or possibly the timing belt wasn't reinstalled correctly.

Hopefully a code will point us in the right direction.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:53 PM
Igotthis

Hm i already let it run for a while and it still does it, i want to try and take it to auto zone so they could connect the scan tool to it. but i cant drive it because it looses power and shuts off when i try to drive it
BUT their is a little sensor that is disconnected but the weird thing is, is that i cant seem to find were its connected to.Oh and the timing is right because it took me like 2 days to do it right and i had some help from a friend.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Killa200
Rookie

can you describe or get us a picture of "this little sensor" that is disconnected?

Quick Reply: Engine stumbles then turns off