1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Suspected grounding problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:01 PM
schuee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspected grounding problem?

I have a 96 dodge avenger es, battery is new, alternator checks out OK, battery terminals are clean. car starts and drives fine. after a while (days) you will hear occational pops over the radio or skips when playing a CD, the battery light may or may not come on. you park the car shut if off come back 5 minutes later and the car is dead. turn the key ,no power, no interior lights, nothing. has happened twice. each time I have waited 5-10 minutes and it then decides to start and run fine, clock on radio is reset (radio presets are still there) no engine skipping. drive car shut car off it will start right up after all this has happened. almost seems like it is building a charge it cannot disperse and when it hits a certain amount seems to be backfeeding the computer and resetting it. I am worried that I may fry the computer. never mind stranding me. thoughts, grounding issue? If so part is discontinued and dealers cannot find it in the USA. thoughts on that?

Old 12-17-2009, 10:38 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make your own grounding cable it's a short cable from terminal to the strut tower I made a larger 0 gauge obes to rplace all the stockers ...

Are you POSITIVE the battery was replaced with the correct size ???
Inspect the hood blanket for cuts/rubs and abrasions ... I'm betting wrong battery too big hitting grounding out on the hood

Old 12-17-2009, 11:22 PM
schuee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure battery is correct, but hell, hears hoping its that easy. i will double check. clearance does looks ok and blanket on hood is good. positive terminal has plastic cover still. If battery was too tall and hitting hood i would think that when I go over a speed bump I would have a immediate problem but none so far. All grounds appear to be tight connections to the block and fender. If it is a ground don't know which one is the problem. May have to make two replacements. not sure how to do that. Have your heard of this happening with these cars or any for that matter?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:04 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had tons short to the hood ... never heard of a grounding issue I upgraded as a 180 amp alternator

Quick Reply: Suspected grounding problem?