1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Wife's avenger is frying throttle cables...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010 | 11:03 PM
cgrunauemt
|
Post Wife's avenger is frying throttle cables...

I'm new to this forum....my wife has raved on and on about this forum so I guess it's my turn.

My wife has a 96 Avenger ES with the 2.5 V6. I'm pretty sure that she has an electrical issue. She's completely seized 4 throttle cables (the one that goes from the pulley housing, bolts to the back of the plenum, and goes to the throttle body) in the past 10 days. We've checked the ground that goes from the back of the engine to the firewall (discovered that there was a plastic piece between the end of the ground and the firewall...the end of the ground is now behind the plastic piece). Is there any other ground on this beast and where is it? Is there anything else that can cause the throttle cable to seize? Is there anywhere that I can buy a throttle cable that won't seize? I could really use the help in getting this beast back up and running for her.....especially with the possibility of a little one on the way.

Old 02-10-2010 | 11:08 PM
cgrunauemt
|

I did have a remote car started installed for Christmas. The cark had to be towed up to the installer because he didn't remove some old wiring and "forgot" to hook up the hood pin. We thought that might have been the issue.

Old 02-11-2010 | 07:40 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator

Isn't this the car that was in a wreck ? I'd check that the battery is not touching the hood

Old 02-13-2010 | 12:20 PM
cgrunauemt
|

Unfortunately yes.....I did check the battery and it doesn't look like it's touching.

Old 02-13-2010 | 04:40 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator

After thinking about it try this , Take a jumper cable to the - of the battery and connect it to the engine. I'm thinking you lost the engine ground and it's using the throttle cable as ground

OR you can take an ohmeter and check resistance to ground from the battery then the battery to the motor

Old 02-22-2010 | 06:07 PM
Avengercrazy

there should be another ground from the frame to the tranny, I have never heard of the ground arching out but i learn something new all the time.. usually when the ground is lose or broken the batter will dies easily and the engine lacks some power, gl.

Quick Reply: Wife's avenger is frying throttle cables...