1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Problems installing coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:03 PM
v6avenger09
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems installing coilovers

i just started to put my coilovers in and im having some trouble. the rear top strut mounting bolts are simple but the lower one is hell. i cant budge it. any tips with that? also, the front stabalizer bar, the top nut spins but so does the bolt, so its not actually being loosened. i have no clue how to get it out. any other tips would be great. thanks!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:53 PM
sapporo
Banned

heat works great to help get nuts and bolts loose

Old 07-08-2010, 05:00 PM
v6avenger09
Rookie

used a propane torch and got that stuck lower strut bolt off. but now i cant remove the strut assembly itself. i removet the top bolts but it wont slide off the bottom thing that the strut is attatched to with the lower mounting bolt. do i just pound it off, or am i forgetting something?

Old 07-09-2010, 11:14 AM
v6avenger09
Rookie

i tried pounding it off with a hammar but it just wont come off the lower mount. the bolt and little and big washers are both off, and according to that eclipse write-up ive seen, it should slide right off...

Old 07-09-2010, 04:19 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this the front or rear ? the pickle fork ?

Old 07-09-2010, 04:39 PM
sapporo
Banned

it's actually trying to tell you that you should just leave it alone before you screw something up even worse.

take it to farm and fleet down in Oak creek or waukesha and have them install some new struts (i'm sure you need them anyway, then come home and swap your springs then you know all the parts will come apart nicely.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 PM
v6avenger09
Rookie

Its the rear. It took me a while to get the lower mounting bolt off but once I did, the strut wouldn't come off the lower mount. I can turn it side to side ever so slightly, but it won't slide off. I tried pounding it with a crowbar and hammer and it wouldn't budge. Shouldn't it be easy from here? And how much would new struts be at farm n fleet?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:49 PM
sapporo
Banned

there's a really cool thing you get every year. it really thick and has yellow pages. try there and find out how much. there's many other places in your town that could do the job. Try Firestore at the Brookfield Square shopping mall. See the manager Jon and maybe he can fix you

Old 07-09-2010, 09:14 PM
v6avenger09
Rookie

I'm probably gunna blow the struts with the coilovers anyway. I'm not asking how I can get new struts, I just wanna know how to get mine off. Cuz if I need em, I'd change them myself anyways.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:27 PM
sapporo
Banned

well, we cant reach through the internet with a hammer and a wrench and do it for you. heat, leverage, strength (mentally and physically) are all you need to remove the strut. it's pretty obvious you don't have the tools, equipment or skills. that's why having someone with the tools, equipment and experiance do it so you dont get hurt or screw it up... btw do you have a spring compressor so you don't knockout your teeth when you remove the spring?

the auto shop teacher in Hartford is super mopar knowledgeable. during the summer he works for a shop in Hartford, maybe I could hook you up and he can do it for you

Quick Reply: Problems installing coilovers