1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

When PS/AC belt not on car overheats.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Mavman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When PS/AC belt not on car overheats.

Hey guys. So I sold the 95 avenger because I got a 91 rx7 but I am friends with the guy that I sold it to. He had his uncle replace the belt for the Powersteering pump and the AC but for some reason it is blowing. The only reason why the belt was replaced was because it was squeeling and then after the belt blew they found out the Alt belt was the one squeeling. He's went through 3 belts in the past 2 weeks now and the only reason the belt I put on fried was because they over tensioned the belt. They are saying its the tensioner but I replaced it just over a year ago so I know that isn't the problem. I am pretty sure they are not tensioning it right. Any thoughts. Also now to the point. Since it blew the second belt whenever the car is running (No AC on because he doesn't use the AC no matter how hot it is) and it doesn't have a belt it overheats extreamely. It did have a problem with temperature maintanance due to no EGR valve but nothing major. It does have proper coolant level btw. Any ideas on what could be causing it. The timing belt in intact and the water pump still functioning correctly. Do you guys think it just needs a new themo? If so how hard is it. I have only replaced it on the V6 and do not know where it is on the I4.

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:50 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overheating doesn't make any sense ... blowing out the belt can be a bad tensioner , bad bearings or a frozen clutch on the A/C

Old 08-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Mavman
Professional

I would have to agree with you but I know the AC clutch still works properly, the bearings are all good including the tensioner which was replaced 1 yr ago and the car has only been ran maybe 3000 miles since it was put on. Do you think the guy just doesn't know how to tension the belts on these cars???

Old 08-11-2010, 05:00 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a three month old tensioner bad bearings allowed it to wobble and it pushed the belt off and damage it ... It's VERY hard to overtension it enough to damage the belt

Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

There is a common problem with out P/S pulley bolts causing the pulley to wobble ultimately destroying the belt. when my venge went over 6,000rpms too long half my belt would be missing. Are your fans working?

Quick Reply: When PS/AC belt not on car overheats.