1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

I sure hope tps fixes it...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 PM
jahorman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I sure hope tps fixes it...

WOW<< I filled my avenger up with gas last tuesday... My book i thought said it is a 16 gallon tank but that cant be right... I put in like 34 bucks and gas is just over 3 a gallon so I figure I have a 11 gallon tank.. Anyone know for sure its a 98 avenger.... Anyways all i did was drove around town and alittle on the highway 171 miles and shes gone.... So 11 into 171 is only 15 miles to the gallon,, that sucks.. I have a new throttle position sensor coming tomarrow and I hope to god this fixes the problem... I hope it will work,, the parts store here in town wanted 84 dollars for the tps and I went on ebey and there were buy it nows for only 20 bucks so I went with that one... anyways just checking again,, I can put this on myself right,,, nothing special to adjust or do.. Just unhook the battery and take the old one off and put the new one on and try her out,, just making sure there arent any tricks or should i unplug the main computer of the car or anything... Any feedback would be great...

Old 01-30-2011, 08:48 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have over 99% doubt that a tps is going to fix your problem. A bad TPS will cause shifting problems (automatic), a check engine light, and a hesitation when accelerating.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:55 PM
hemi4spd
All Star

have you had this car scanned for any codes?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm saying no to the TPS as well ...
You need to set the voltage on the TPS, there is a procedure in the manual it can't be over 5 volts if I remember right

Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 PM
jahorman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No ive been trying to figure it out myself,,, but wednesday this week i am taking it to a mechanic to have the front cv shaft replaced and i will have him check everything.. I have a terrible hesitation when accelerating,,, the car starts up and idles great but when you put it drive or reverse and give it gas it cuts out, you really have to romp on it and yes when i am on the highway it acts a little screwy when shifting... I dont have a check engine light on though but who knows maybe that doesnt even work.. There is something terribly wrong though with the hesitation when you give it gas and sometimes when it idles down it is all over the place and wants to die when coming to a stop... I just read alot of these forums and everything i read about bad throttle position sensors pertained to the problem i have so I hope, if not im only out 20 bucks and i will let the mechanic check everything wednesday,,, Oh yah and when it is running there is always a real strong and rich smell of gas,, I dont know how you explain this the right way but my exhaust the smell are definately something wrong,, too much fuel or ????

Quick Reply: I sure hope tps fixes it...