1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

avenger just died and wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 05:11 PM
jahorman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default avenger just died and wont start

Hello again everyone,, have a question i have a 98 dodge avenger 2.5 v6 and today i turned on the highway and the car just died.. Now it will not start, it turns over and you can smell gas really bad but will not fire up.. Does anyone have any quick tips that i can try to fix it.. I really dont want to take it to the shop and pay alot.. I think the fuel pump is working cuz i can hear it and like i said it smells like gas real bad, why... Are there any relays of tricks to check for first.. thank you

Old 04-17-2011, 10:33 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swap the asd and fuel pump relays and see if things change

Old 04-18-2011, 01:18 AM
jahorman

Ok i went out and tried that, my firewall has 3 relays and first i swapped the left, passengers side one and the middle one and no change still just turns over but wont fire, then i even moved around the right one and still nothing... Took me forever to hook them back up because each one had a special groove or a lign of plastic different and they didnt want to plug in to a different relay but i got and it did not work... Then I tried the screwdriver test, Im sure i did it right,, I unplugged a spark plug wire and took a screwdriver and stuck it in there, laid it on the plenum so i could see under the hood in there and tried starting it,, I did not see any spark.. I tried 2 of the wires and didnt see any spark,,, it is supose to be a pretty visible spark or did i miss it... Anyways so i guess i am not getting spark,,, do distributors just go bad like that,, this car fired right up for 4 months and it stalled alittle and at about 55 miles an hour it liked to jerk you alittle but i just gave it more gas and she ran great at 70 or more,, the motor has 220,000 miles on it so i hate to put much money into it.. I thought i read there is a sensor in the distributor but to replace that you have to replace all that and that is like 400 bucks right.. Dont know if she is worth putting that money into,, or other tips to try.. thank you again

Last edited by jahorman; 04-18-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:13 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It can be the distro , I'd check for voltage first ...I think you can get them for $150 on ebay

Old 04-19-2011, 11:39 AM
bkavenger88

it could be the distributor or the crankshaft sensor. if you need a distributor let me kno.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:45 AM
Jasonn Hormann

Ok man the shop called tonight and says they tested everything and they think it is the distributor, if i have them do it it is going to cost alot so let me know if you do have one and how much.. thank you

Old 04-22-2011, 02:46 AM
Jasonn Hormann

Also is changing the distributor a pretty easy job, i have never done one but would be willing to try... and help would be great thanks

Old 04-22-2011, 11:56 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It's fairly easy 2 bolts be sure to get the spark plug wires back in proper order
You have to remove the battery to get it out, it obly goes in one way theres a key way

Old 04-23-2011, 12:56 AM
Jasonn Hormann

Ok thank you, i hope it is that easy... I found one on ebay for only 120, ordered it tonight so hopefully get it by tuesday and i am going to attempt to do it myself then... I will just slide the old one out and put the new one in same way, great i was worried it would be alot more complicated... I am also getting new wires and plugs and changing the valve cover gasket, the plugs are getting oil in them... I know i have to take off the plenum so i am getting a gasket for that too... This is farely easy isnt it,, any step by step for taking the plenum off.. thank you so much bad venge your info has helped me so much later

Old 04-23-2011, 01:44 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I had it but the board ate it I'm getting ready to install this :
http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/100_9288.jpg
I'll try to take pictures

Quick Reply: avenger just died and wont start