1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

1998 Dodge Avenger ES starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:53 AM
pepsimpson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 1998 Dodge Avenger ES starting issues

I have a nice 98 Dodge avenger ES. My problem seems to start happening if i turn the air on. After i shut the car off after using the air it won't start. Its like dead, All i hear is a click in the ignition and i see the interior lights go on. This has been a ongoing issues since last summer. Finally this summer i had a friend tap the starter and it started after a few wierd noises. Could this be a Draining of the battery issue ? it seems to go away if i run the car for awhile or drive it for a few hours. Or is it a starter issue since it started when my buddy tap on the starter. And help is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:58 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the Avenger section,
FF

Old 07-26-2011, 08:54 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to say that theres a solenoid/ starter issue

Old 07-27-2011, 10:24 PM
pepsimpson
Default Thx, no luck so far

Thx for the welcome FF..... and yes beginning to look more like its my starter? Got canadian tire to load test the battery . Its a 675 CCA and read 571 on the test ... still a little life i think? But Canadan tired recommended i buy a new one? NOT YET...lol... But again today it wouldn;t turn over after i let it sit for abit,,,, so we tapped on the starter and it fired up. Guess it makes sense to get a starter?

Old 07-28-2011, 04:12 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time it won't start I'd try JUMPING it without tapping the starter. If it starts then the low Cranking amps might not be enough to get the starter to spin

Old 07-28-2011, 10:48 PM
pepsimpson

the next time was today,,,lol.... I tried boosting it like you said a couple days ago. No start. Only when the starter gets tapped. I cleaned the terminal tonight. It fired up ,,,but the second attempt it was sluggish again. Im thinking maybe the contacts in the starter have worn? If i tap the starter it starts almost immed,,,and all connections have been cleaned,

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge Avenger ES starting issues