1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

2000 dodge avenger crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 12:47 AM
JVenger
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 dodge avenger crank but no start

Been having this issue for awhile bur seems like its getting worse. Car will crank but will not start. The car feels like it wants to start but has trouble kicking over. Ive replace the CPS, fuel filter and did a tune up in december. The car takes awhile to start if im lucky. The fuel filter was replaced last week. Wasnt dirty but it did look clogged (i tried blowing thourgh it with a straw after cleaning out the gas) anybody have the same issue?

Old 09-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Vengeful_Noose
Default Spark??

Have you checked to see if you have spark? I had the same issue recently and ended up replacing the distributor.

Take out a plug wire and put a spark plug in it. Then touch the threaded side to any grounded metal on the engine and have someone try and start it and see if it sparks, if not, that's your issue.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:40 PM
JVenger
Amateur

Thanks for your help. After i was up all night trying to find answers for what the hell my car was doing, i stumbled up on the issue of the relays (fuel pump, ASD, and transmission) located on top of the master cylinder. I believe both the fuel pump and ASD relay had gone out because i no longer heard the pump kick on and there was no spark at the spark plugs. My car had had this issue for the better part of a year but just recently got worse this morning the car did not want to start at all. I got all three relays at the junk yard (it was on a bundle clip) that looked in fairly good condition. Before replacing the relay assembly, i attempted a final try with the relays that were connected-cranked but no start. After replacing the relays, i crossed my fingers and gave it a shot-Success!! The car started up like normal and was able to hear the fuel pump kick on. I am hoping this is the rememdy because ive been going through this crap long enough. Note: the relays are available at most auto parts shops but saw them for $20 a piece! I suggest a junk yard for items like these. Saved me $60! I hope this helps someone else.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Jimmie Mitchell

its the crank shaft position sensor or the cam shaft position sensor. more than likely the cps.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:40 PM
JVenger
Amateur

It ain't the CPS. I know this because I had already replaced it prior to replacing the relays. Since my last post, I have not had this issue happen to me again. Believe it or not but relays DO go out.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:53 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those relays go out ALL THE TIME ... I carry a spare set

Old 05-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Mikee06
Amateur

I had the same problem it would turn over but wouldnt start i changed out my fuel filter & didnt do anything I had to change the Relay The one in the middle.. see if that works!!

Quick Reply: 2000 dodge avenger crank but no start