1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Brakes go to the floor wont get firm

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 04:10 PM
CFUNK25
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes go to the floor wont get firm

I need help. Was driving 97 dodge avenger heard a thump in the front and my brakes went to the floor and brake light came on. Replaced rear rotors, calipers and pad. Went to bleed the brakes with no luck. You have to pump them up to get any firmness and then the go back to the floor. There is plenty of fluid and have tried to bleed them 5 times. The abs light has been on for sometime and now the brake light is still on. Have a friend that is a mechanic but he cannot pull the abs code. He told me it might have to go to the dealership as some chrysler cars have to be scanned to have the brakes bled. It seems consistent you pump them up three or four times to get firmness and then when you let off and press on them again they go to the floor. Is there a certain order to bleed them?

Old 03-30-2012, 04:33 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You heard a noise in the front AND replaced REAR brakes...
have you inspected the fronts as well?
I'd be inclined to think the noise in the front was a hose blowing , caliper seal ect causing the leak down

Old 03-30-2012, 04:41 PM
CFUNK25

Ok I got alittle excited that I found this forum. There was a noise from the front of the car. However we knew the rear brakes were getting bad so we replaced them as the fronts were replaced a year ago. This is my son's car and he was the one driving it at the time. Why won't the brakes bleed or is there something wrong with the actual abs system it self? ABS light has been on for sometime however was told that was a speed sensor. There don't seem to be any signs of brake fluid leaking.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:51 PM
CFUNK25

We have a friend that is a mechanic he said to go ahead and replace the front pads and calipers to see if this helps. A year ago we replaced pad and rotors only. I am alittle leary to put more money into this car as it is not worth it. Just can't see sinking 500.00 into brakes.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:22 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

$500 in brakes ... your shopping in the wrong place ...
Rock auto has remans calipers for $20 / $57 with pads

Old 03-31-2012, 08:04 AM
CFUNK25

I already spent $160 on pads, calipers and rotors on a car that is worth on a good day $1000. I need help figuring out why the brakes after bleeding still need to be pumped. I know how to bleed brakes on a car. Its frustrating as it shouldnt be this hard. Does anyone know why this is happening? Do you have to use a scanner to bleed this car? My mechanic says its acting like there is valve stuck on the abs but without being able to pull the code from the abs we are stuck.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:22 AM
CFUNK25

What the bleeding sequence? I did driver rear, passenger rear, driver front and passenger front. Then twice opened all valves, held pedal to floor and closed all of them. The fluid is full. I just don't want to have to take it to a dealership.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:58 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I've bleed hundreds of venge/bring and eclipses and never needed a scanner ...
I'm traveling and do not have the service manual with me so can't get the sequence, check the local library

Old 05-01-2012, 04:55 PM
JVenger
Amateur

If you have to pump the brake pedal for it to stay firm than odds are your master cylinder has a internal leak. One of the pistons inside is allowing brake fluid to pass through creating that limp brake pedal. Either try and rebuild it or replace it completely.

Last edited by JVenger; 05-01-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Mikee06
Amateur

Dang $500 dallors for brakes & rotors dang screw that here should of got this set Save you alot of $$$
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-K...ht_6586wt_1135

Last edited by Mikee06; 05-03-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Brakes go to the floor wont get firm