1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

99 Avenger driving my nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Maingregory
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Avenger driving my nuts.

Ok a few problems here, My alternator is starting to go, lights flickering, not like it was when i got it, second her in indiana when it drops below about 50 degrees my transmission whines,(i assume this is because the fluid isnt moving well it has the original filter with 156xxx miles on it) third, rear main seal leaks, fourth i have a whining coming from the left side of the engine( though it was the p/s pump but topped the fluid off in it and the whine is still there) Its rusting out in front of the rear wheels so bad when i went to tie up my loose heat shied the jack point sunk into the body. I assume the whining is the original timing belt, Im at my whits end with this car, my sister didnt take care of it or cange the oil regularly, I got it back in 09, please offer advice before its too late

Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Maingregory

Oh forgot to add the valves on the front(toward the radiator) tap when i start it then goes away when i drive, Always has since i had it, with the amount of rust im not looking to do alot anymore to it, just looking to keep it getiing me to work

Old 02-01-2012, 04:19 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have the alternator tested most auto parts do it for free , that will tell you if the alternators bad or there is a connection/cable/corrosion issue

Have you checked the tranny fluid ? color ?smell /look burnt ?

the engine noise could be a bad tensioner on the accesory belt or a bad timing belt /water pump going as well

the rust is a bad design the dirt ect lays there and starts the rust I clean mine out with a tooth brush every time I wash

the valve tap is likely clogged passages poor head oil flow from the sister not changing oil , do an oil flush and that might help rid that trouble

Old 02-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Maingregory

the tranny fluid was fine when i checked it it was low, added a quart, but problem is still there, also. at what point does the rust become unfixable, i mean if i cant really jack up the car(besides the a arms) any tips for fighting the rust?

Old 02-02-2012, 04:24 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'dneed to see pixs of the rust ...
Best to cut out and weld in new panels ...
You Can use one of the rust killer/naval jellies to treat the area and then paint undercoat to try to slow it

Quick Reply: 99 Avenger driving my nuts.