1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

power steering pressure switch location?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:41 PM
rchupp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering pressure switch location?

I was wondering if anyone knows for sure where the power steering pressure switch is on a '98 Dodge Avenger (6-cylinder)? The check engine light came on and the code is p0551, which is an indication that the power steering pressure switch isn't happy. I added more power steering fluid because it was low, but the light hasn't gone off (although I guess it may still if I drive it more miles). If anyone has the instructions for replacing the power steering pressure switch, I'd much appreciate that, too. thanks

Old 02-19-2014, 01:20 AM
simmonsfr
Professional

I think mine is on the pump. Below is a pic from when I was installing a timing belt. The switch is on the right side of the pump in this pic.

Name:  IMG_0095_zpsbcfe7515.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  678.5 KB

Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 PM
rchupp

Thanks for the info and the pic! My '98 Avenger is the same with the power steering pressure switch on the pump. The power steering fluid in my car was a bit low, so after filling it up and driving the car for about 50 miles over the last few days, the service engine soon (cel) light went off (just a couple of hours ago). Hope the timing belt change went well! You must be a real do-it-yourselfer. Thanks again!

Old 07-02-2014, 04:44 PM
rchupp
Default problem fixed

So the check engine light came on again, so I took a pair of needle nose pliers and tightened the electrical connection. I then reset the check engine light by disconnecting the battery, and haven't had any problems since. My car even passed inspection with flying colors

Old 07-06-2014, 12:51 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

The power steering is on the rank n pinion on the driver side.

Quick Reply: power steering pressure switch location?