1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

98 avenger mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 12:30 PM
dsmmodica
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 avenger mods

98 avenger base, i really want manual, should i get the trans that will bolt on and then find something to do with the crank sensor, or should i just save up for a whole new motor and trans..which i really dont wanna do

Last edited by dsmmodica; 12-24-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:22 PM
simmonsfr
Professional

It is very difficult to mount a manual tranny to the v6. It has a crank sensor built into the flywheel system. In my opinion, the mitsu 2.0 with a manual tranny would be easier to mod.
There are 2 versions that I know of. 2.0 dodge motor and 2.0 mitsu motor. You can get more performance from the mitsu motor I believe.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:12 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 2.0 mitsu motor that will fit and was ran in the Avenger is junk.

I would be willing to bet the A543 manual from the older dodges would bolt up to the 2.5. (being it's the same block as the 3.0).

If you want to swap for more power and a stick, drop a 2001+ eclipse/stratus driveline. 3.0 24v V6 w/ 5 speed. Be a way better option, or research the trans I listed.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:27 PM
simmonsfr
Professional

Originally Posted by smokesxt
The 2.0 mitsu motor that will fit and was ran in the Avenger is junk.

I would be willing to bet the A543 manual from the older dodges would bolt up to the 2.5. (being it's the same block as the 3.0).

If you want to swap for more power and a stick, drop a 2001+ eclipse/stratus driveline. 3.0 24v V6 w/ 5 speed. Be a way better option, or research the trans I listed.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Avenger came with a Dodge 2.0L which many think is junk. The mitsu 4g63 Is not junk and was used in the turbo cars like the Talon, eclipse, and I believe the Galant vr4. John Shepherd ran 8.7 seconds in the quarter mile with a modded 4g63. Here is a link to the hot rod article.
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...1_eagle_talon/

As far as mounting a tranny. you can, but you have to invent a new way to get spark and timing. The tranny has the crank sensor. See pics below and notice the weird flywheel

Also you can check the profile of silvercoupe97. He converted his venge to 2.0l turbo with manual and AWD. Bad Venge is a moderator and I think he went with a 3.0L swap but kept the auto trans. I checked and read that the venge came with a dodge 420a 4 banger not the mitsu motor.

Bad Venge, can you chime in with your opinion? You are the expert.

Attached Thumbnails 98 avenger mods-0900c15280089882_zpsf0bb7da8.jpg  

Last edited by simmonsfr; 10-10-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:12 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Ya, sorry. Came out backwards, my mistake, 420A is dodge and was junk. The 4g63 is a great motor, but my opinion- Why Swap A Torquey 6, for a 4? The 6g motors handle boost well, so the option is there for a lot of power on stock internals, something the 4g63 cannot achieve.

The 2.5l has been used with the A543. IIRC it required MS to eliminate the need for the crank sensor, which if you're running MS anyway it's easier to add more power later.

Be way easier to go stand-alone then getting everything straight for a complete driveline swap.

A fat torque curved V6 is waaaaaayyyyyyyyy more fun then a high horsepower 4 cylinder. IMO.

Last edited by smokesxt; 10-10-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:04 AM
simmonsfr
Professional

Originally Posted by smokesxt
The 2.5l has been used with the A543. IIRC it required MS to eliminate the need for the crank sensor, which if you're running MS anyway it's easier to add more power later.
Are you referring to the mega squirt controller? There is a person that put a 3.8L and a manual in his venge. He had to use mega squirt and a modded front pulley to get it to run. Interesting read. I don't have that much ambition.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/3g-eclip...c-avenger.html

Old 10-13-2014, 07:31 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by simmonsfr
Are you referring to the mega squirt controller? There is a person that put a 3.8L and a manual in his venge. He had to use mega squirt and a modded front pulley to get it to run. Interesting read. I don't have that much ambition.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/3g-eclip...c-avenger.html
Yes sir. I feel some wiring and swapping a trans would be much easier then a complete driveline swap. The 5-speed on the 6Gxx motors really makes them come alive.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:02 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy the 420A and all associated parts from another avenger it's a fairly straightforward swap , but a step backwards as the 420's a fairly anemic motor with limited aftermarket support. Yes you can get a turbo kit ect but still have the motor and tranny be weak.

The GST 4G63 can be built fairly well and descent numbers and a descent tranny to hold the power but it's a more involved swap , hell if you want make the avenger AWD by swapping the GSX driveline

Quick Reply: 98 avenger mods