1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Help a poor kid with his damper pulley

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Aptyp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a poor kid with his damper pulley

Hey, my timing belt on my 1996 V6 ES avenger snapped and I need to put on a new one. The problem is: The damper pulley on the crankshaft is stuck!!! I tried an Impact wrench, and a couple of ideas involving breaker bars but it WONT budge. Can you guys help out? Any ideas on how to loosen the bolt? I appreciate the help and time.

Thanks.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Dodge_Ram_3500
Veteran
Default RE: Help a poor kid with his damper pulley

Well, this works, but it can be dangerous, dont try it around the gas tank, or any things that could melt, if you heat the bolts up and then use the impact wrench on them, this usually works very well, just use a torch, hope this helps!

Old 03-10-2006, 02:21 PM
biljindodz
Default RE: Help a poor kid with his damper pulley

don't play with the heat, you could melt the rubber on the pulley, be creative instead. I don't knowabout in US but in Canadian parts stores you can buy a tool for a crank pulley. I've made my own. From a 1/4" flat steal cut at square little bigger than your pulley diameter. then put it against you pulley and try to figure how to match the holes on your pulley and drill them out and get them as close as you can to the diameter of the holes on the pulley. then you need 2 bolts 3/8 long as the holes in your pulley+1/4". now the tricky part. In between holes cut a "U" shape piece big enough to fit 7/8 socket but leaving enough meat between cutout and bolt holes. If you've done this all that is left to do now is weld a strong bar (or "L" profile steel bar) to your tool about 2' long. hope this helps you and you have access to cutting torch and welder.

Quick Reply: Help a poor kid with his damper pulley