1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

1996 Dodge Avenger Oil Pressure low

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 08:33 PM
dakota03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dodge Avenger Oil Pressure low & ABS light

Hi,

This is my first time posting in a while. I am workong on our 1996 Dodge Avenger ES, 2.5L V6. This is my wife’s baby. She bought it brand new in 1995. I have been slowly trying to get it back on the road, as it has been sitting for around 3+ years due to the transmission needing rwbuilt. It hasn’t been cranked in a while, so today, I decided to take it out and drive it around to help charge the battery back up. While out on the road, the brakes were kind of vibrating. I thought when I got back to the house, I would change out the brake pads. When I pulled the brake pads off, they still had plenty of pad left on them, over half the pad. I put the calipers back on, then got into the car to drive it again to make sure everything was still good.

What happened next, was all kinds of small stuff.

First, the abs light came on and the brakes started locking up and unlocking.

Then the battery light came on.

So I promptly turned into somebody elses driveway and turned around to go the 2-3 minutes back to the house.

While driving back to the house, the brakes were still locking and unlocking, battery light still on, and once I turned into the driveway to park, the oil light came on, and the oil pressure gauge needle stayed in the Low side.

Now for my questions.

What could I have done to the abs system by taking the caliper off?

What would cause the oil pressure gauge to stay in the Low area?

Why didn’t the car do this on my 10-20 mile drive?

Could the oil pressure be related to the charging system/battery light coming on?

I hope I didn’t tear something up.

Last edited by dakota03; 07-29-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:34 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too many variables to guess the troubles
The ABS could have hit the sensor wires , disconnected the plugs , might be a coincidence that a critter chewed the wire and it broke when moved

Oil pressure
bad oil , low oil, bad oil pump , bad sensor, bad filter

Quick Reply: 1996 Dodge Avenger Oil Pressure low