1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

How do i take of the front cover of my headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 07:20 AM
slakr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do i take of the front cover of my headlights

yeah i cant believe that ore poeple havent heard of this method cause the guys on ebay are making a killing off ignorant people.....and for all of you that have tried the wetsanding idea and it hasnt worked out.......u did something wrong. make sure when doin this to ur headlights to: keep the paper AND the headlight wet, dont forget the soap cause it helps wash the impurities away from the housing, the more steps of finer grits the better ( dont be afraid to go up to 1000 or 2000 grit, itll give a better finish), and most of all CLEARCOAT IT WHEN UR DONE WITH IT OR EVERYTHING U JUST DID WAS A WASTE OF TIME!!!!! i cant tell u how many ppl tell me that they didnt do this step and it really confuses me how someone wouldnt. dont use cheap clearcoat you get what u pay for with any paint. .......want a perfect finish on those nearly new headlights.....try an old painting method and color sand between coats of clear.....it makes the finish smoother and gives it that million dollar finish.......thats how the pros get rid of that orange peel look on paint jobs and thats how to make ur headlights look that much better.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:58 AM
95_Avenger
Professional

bump i tried the sanding thing and now there all whhite looking.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Siradon

Using cooking oil and a cloth.

Above is what the left side looked like.

After applying.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:29 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: 95_Avenger

bump i tried the sanding thing and now there all whhite looking.
Sorry, don't know how I missed this.
You will have to use something like Meguiars Scratch X...it's a plastic polish. It will smoothen out the finer grit scratches and then you're done. Though that's a good idea Siradon, oil washes off too fast and the sandpaper scratches will just show up again after a nice rain fall. The polish will keep it nice and shiny for at least 3 months unless he puts clearcoat on it....after he polishes it, that is.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:30 AM
95_Avenger
Professional

thanks

Old 05-19-2006, 04:10 AM
95_Avenger
Professional

ok did what silver said worked great lookes like new. this dude knows his ****

Old 05-20-2006, 12:29 AM
slakr
Rookie

yeah the headlights are gonna look white no matter how fine the sandpaper is the clearcoat or (as silver said) the polish will fill in those little scratch marks and make the surface smooth again. if at first it doesnt work then try again. trust me i did this and it does work.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:49 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Well, you have to polish it with plastic polish, that's for sure or it will look all scratched up from the 2000 grit sandpaper, lol. Once it's polished, it should look pretty clear. I've done it and it stayed clear for 6 months at a time with A LOT of interstate driving between 3 states.
I need to wetsand mine again though, but this time after I polish it, I will put at least two coats of clearcoat on it. Keep in mind that from the factory, they don't use clearcoat but a plastic coating of some sort and I say some sort because if I knew what it was, I would be spouting that stuff out and using it instead of clearcoat, lol.

Oh yeah, I use Meguiars Scratch X and it works really well for me, some use a 3M type plastic polish but it doesn't matter a whole lot, just a matter of preferrence is all. The polish is the last stage and clearcoat (like they use on paint) is an optional "sealant", if you will. I wouldn't use clearcoat unless you know what you're doing though because it can deflect the light in the wrong direction and cause "blobs" of lighting if done wrong. Thin layers is best and only if the polish stage is done to your satisfaction because clearcoating will be permanent for another 2 years or more, unless you wetsand it off of course.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:53 PM
grimbo_69

This worked for me.............

http://www.MyHeadlight.com

Try it!! Complete Kit to do both headlights!!

Old 10-27-2006, 12:02 AM
slhomer

So from reading there add it includes sand paper, can you tell me the active ingreadiants in there cleaner.
It sounds like your wet sanding them anyway. so why pay $30 + shipping for some wet/dry you might spend $5 at your local auto store. and a little elbow grease IMO (but Im a newbie in this forum) so my opinion might not count

Sean

Quick Reply: How do i take of the front cover of my headlights