1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 01:46 PM
redaveng99es
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise when turning

I hear a really light winding noise or somethign everytime I turn the steering wheel. Its nothing to do with the control arms and stuff. I checked fluid and its ok. Anything else I should check. Sounds like it could just be rubbing or something maybe.

Old 06-10-2006, 11:34 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: noise when turning

Whining?....like pulley whine? or is it belt squeal? or is it more of a grinding? or screeching? are you going over bumps or any change in suspension configuration (I'm being generic)? at what speed(s)?

Check your power steering fluid and make sure that it's up to par, check your power steering belt and make sure it doesn't have a lot of play per manual. Check your lower balljoints, the backside of the brake disc, the brake pads....there's an "indicator" that only lightly sqeaks/squeals when it's starting to get rubbed down to the nub.

Old 06-10-2006, 11:36 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

During idle, turn your steering wheel in both directions, if it makes any "off" noises, then it's your power steering component. If it's good, then try and replicate the issue and post back with more detail bubba.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:59 AM
avenger9689

According to my Haynes Repair manual troubleshooting section, If you hear a clicking noise when turning, then its a worn or damaged outboard CV joing. Heres something else that might help. If there is noise that is most pronounced when turning, then its a Differential gear noise

Old 09-25-2006, 04:06 PM
FoniksKyd

My 96 avenger has a grinding noise when i turn the steernig wheel and even when i get in and out of the car. obviously this has to do with suspension. can anyone confirm that this could be a possible problem with the lower ball joints? i know that there was a recall for these in may of 01.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:16 AM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

I can Fon Just had it done last August. Does it sound like two metal pipes rubbing when turning and does it go away at high speeds say around 40+MPH! Its the lower ball Joint! Also I noticed it went away when it was wet outside or after it rained.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:13 PM
scatpackmopar
Veteran

I get a faint whining noise when I turn. It sounds like fluid going thru the lines in the rack and pinion. Wonder if a flush of fluids would help that? Is there power steering fluid designed to help keep things quiet? I do not have any leaks or play in my steering so I am no that concerned about it and only notice the noise once in awhile in the parking lot.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:45 AM
bgm

i get the same noise with my 97, also what is the turning radius on our car's? my wheel turns once each way before it stops, and it's just terrible, any ideas?

Old 09-29-2006, 01:21 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

I Honesty Do Know (IHDK) but I know its bad! When making a simple "U" turn I always hafta swing the car like I'm driving a truck, I just got the steering done so I do try to force it anyways. If it was RWD I would just give it more gas. And she understeers like I have no ABS, coming off a main road I always put her into 2nd. The best way I can describe my turnig radius is when cuttin the wheel to either side I.E the left, the right tire has about and inch clearance from the fender.

Quick Reply: noise when turning