1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Help! Check light, tranny stays in 2nd, oil pressure = 0

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Mekkahfire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Check light, tranny stays in 2nd, oil pressure = 0

I just bought this car like 2 months ago. It was a clean ride with about 110k on it. Just needed it for a winter car.

2 months later, the CEL light is on, the transmission will not shift out of 2nd gear (automatic).. Not upshift, downshift, nothing. Constant 2nd, even at a full stop. There is a new smallish oil leak, i can see it starting to get caked under the car, and the oil pressure gauge is now below zero, like its been unplugged somehow.

Please Avenger Guru's i need HELP! Help me diagnos the car, even fix it.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:29 AM
hckyplayer8
Rookie
Default RE: Help! Check light, tranny stays in 2nd, oil pressure = 0

had this problem with my car....got stuck in 2nd gear....speedometer shut off....n oil pressure was all but lost....after putting it through a computer all the code crap it came up in a bunch of speed sensor errors.....take it to a tranny shop n they will slap a new sensor on 4 u.....reason it goes 2 2nd gear is 2nd gear is the fallback gear.....as for the oil pressure gauge rising up and down durring throttle play avengers have a history of this problem n r really not a issue if u periodically check ur oil like ur suppose 2....after labor n the new sensor its like a 180 $$$ fix.....as for the small oil leak its most likely a different issue if not a issue at all ( not saying its not a issue) take it 2 ur local mechanic n have him look for oil line leaks

Old 07-11-2006, 11:41 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: hckyplayer8

had this problem with my car....got stuck in 2nd gear....speedometer shut off....n oil pressure was all but lost....after putting it through a computer all the code crap it came up in a bunch of speed sensor errors.....take it to a tranny shop n they will slap a new sensor on 4 u.....reason it goes 2 2nd gear is 2nd gear is the fallback gear.....as for the oil pressure gauge rising up and down durring throttle play avengers have a history of this problem n r really not a issue if u periodically check ur oil like ur suppose 2....after labor n the new sensor its like a 180 $$$ fix.....as for the small oil leak its most likely a different issue if not a issue at all ( not saying its not a issue) take it 2 ur local mechanic n have him look for oil line leaks
+1 on the oil pressure.

Mekkahfire..
I would be worried if you have to refill your oil every other day though. That would mean that you have a serious leak somewhere which could be causing your loss in oil pressure. A loose oil fill cap, worn spark plug seals, valve cover gaskets, on top of others can cause oil leaks, but the ones I listed are the most common. Need more info on this though to help get you into the general area.
Oh yeah, look under the car, by the oil filter area...there's a yellow colored (at least it used to be), bell-ish shaped contraption...that's the oil pressure sending unit, those go bad often, the wire can also get burnt by the exhaust (terrible placement of the harness IMO), and of course check to make sure that it's still plugged in, lol.
There are many things that can make the A604/41te go into "limp" mode. Do the usual check. Do you still hear a ratcheting sound when you shift into "D"? How's the tranny fluid level? What color is the fluid? Does it smell burnt? Need more info on this too, more details if you can.

Old 07-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Mekkahfire

The fluid is new, doesnt smell burnt. It makes the typical "dodge sound" when shifting into gear, it just takes a minute for it to register. After driving, it seems when the tranny gets hot, it starts taking longer to shift, and eventually stops shifting out of second. Not up, not down, straight up second gear all the time...

I just need to know the location of the speed sensor???

Quick Reply: Help! Check light, tranny stays in 2nd, oil pressure = 0