1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

door jamb switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 08:45 PM
97AvengerGuy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door jamb switch problem

I'm a newb. First post. I have a 97 Avenger ES. The problem I am having is that the dome lights and the courtesy lights are not activating when the doors are open. So I removed the door jamb switch and found that the white connector had serious corrosion. In fact the wires fell out of it right in my hand. Does anyone know how I can get a replacement white connector, or what the part number is for one?

I found replacement switches, but they don't include the white connector.

Also, does anyone know how these switches work? Are they magnetic?

thanks for any suggestions.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:16 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: door jamb switch problem

Welcome to DF
The switch isn't magnetic. I've had mine since 97 and it's the original. I've also cleaned mine and then sprayed electrical cleaner on the contacts then sprayed it with silicone lube and once a year I spray it with WD-40 just to keep it clean. You can do that to your switch too. As for the contact...that can be made, you just have to be creative or you can get a used one from a 95-99-00 Eclipse/Talon/Avenger/Sebring(coupe). Also make sure the screw has a solid/clean patch of metal and that the switch metal is clean.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:41 PM
revengedraco

i dont know whats wrong with my door swich but i took it out and looked at it and its clean my passgenger side works fine but i dont know if i should buy a new switch or not

Old 07-19-2006, 07:33 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

They're inexpensive, you can just buy a new one.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:17 AM
97AvengerGuy

I bought two switches from the dealer for $15 CAD each. It's obvious to me now that they are just like any other door switch. The plunger part on my old switches were completely seized, so the circuit was permanently open.

I ordered the black switches from the dealer, but they accidentally ordered the blue ones. Before exchanging them, I noted that the blue ones are exactly the same except they are missing one of the metal prongs. So if your car takes the blue switch(Sebring or Talon?) make extra sure that they're grounded properly.

So now I just have to figure out what to do with the white connector.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:57 AM
97AvengerGuy

Success. The dome/courtesy lights are now working. A few other lights have also started working - such as the door open indicator on the dash, a very handy ring light around the ignition, and the security system now arms itself automatically when the door is locked manually. And there is a warning sound if the key is left in the ignition and the door is opened. I hope this helps someone who is having similar problems.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:33 AM
jp_greenville13
Rookie

yes it does thank you

Quick Reply: door jamb switch problem