1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Starting to have problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 10:12 PM
scatpackmopar
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to have problems

In first gear if I really get on it I get a pretty good rumbling sound and at around 3000 rpm I get a slight vibration. I took it to a local tranny shop but the owner thinks it is a bearing ijn the bottom end of the motor and not a problem with the clutch or tranny. I stopped at my mechanics shop today but he doesn't do bottom ends. Think I will be OK if I just have new bearings put in. The top end was done just last fall. Now I have to find a shop who does bottom ends and can compare to my regualr mechanic.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:35 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: Starting to have problems

What motor do you have again Scat?

Old 07-26-2006, 01:32 PM
scatpackmopar
Veteran

420A w/ 5 speed. 205K miles. New timing belt, cylinder head, tranny w/ clutch. The car runs and drives really good but I get a noise off the line that sounds like something is unbalanced [it doesn't do it everytime] it gets louder and more noticable if I try to accelerate hard. It started a little while ago as a slight vibration sound above 3000 RPM but nobody could find out what it was. I am taking it to a shop Monday and until then I am going to run 20W50 oil with a touch of 90 wgt gear oil to help keep it quiet. [a friend at work who is a gear head suggested I do this] I hope it is something simple cause I really love this car and don't want to get rid of. Maybe a junk yard engine is the solution. And just a thought. If the crank has to come out is there a stroker crank available as a replacement? That was just a thought cause I will probably leave it stock.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:25 PM
scatpackmopar
Veteran

Oil change didn't do anything to it. I am starting to think it isn't a bearing cause I can drive all over the place at different speeds and RPM's and not notice the noise. I mostly hear it when I leave a stop light. I just do it smoother on the clutch and try to use lower RPM's on take off. I am not sure what it is yet but I will find a shop who can fix it. If I can get Mopar Action Magazine to reply they usually are pretty good with solving porblems like this.

Old 07-30-2006, 04:01 PM
avengerdude27
Rookie

check your motor mounts that is my guess my 96 did it till i replaced em

Old 07-31-2006, 12:23 AM
scatpackmopar
Veteran

I found out it is the mounts but nobody has the front right mount in stock and the dang thing is $175 at the dealer. I am trying to find it at either Autozone or ebay.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:03 AM
avengerdude27
Rookie

get the energy suspension inserts
for 95-99 eclipse non turbo theyre like 20 from summit racing

Old 08-07-2006, 11:32 PM
scatpackmopar
Veteran

I ended up having Mitsubishi order Eclipse mounts. I spent $175 for all four and the problem is gone. Funny how it made so many different noises from a slight humm at 3000 RPMs to a low grumble when I took off in first and just before I changed the mounts it started to clank when I turned it on or off.

Quick Reply: Starting to have problems