1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Program keyless transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:43 PM
mario
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Program keyless transmitter

Can anyone please tell me how to program the keyless transmitter for a 99 Dodge Avenger? When I went to get a replacement they said they could do it for $40 or there should be a section in the owners manual. Since I don't have an owners manual I was hoping someone here could help me.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:43 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: Program keyless transmitter

Here is a quick HowTo on programming your own keyless entry:

1) Turn ignition to OFF.
2) Locate the Data Link Connector, its a black 16 pin connecter that is under the driver's side dash, right where your right knee would be. You have to look up into the dash from below to see it.
3) Ground pin 1 of the Data Link Connector by taking a wire or paper clip and running it from pin 1 to pin 4. Pin 4 is ground so you can just short pin 1 to 4 and it will be grounded. Grounding pin 1 tells the system you are ready to reprogram it.
4) Close all of your doors.
5) Turn the key to ACC then back off. The power door locks will lock/unlock. This is the signal that the system is ready for reprogramming.
6) Push a button on your key fob, doesn't matter which button.
7) If you have 2 key fobs, then press a button on the 2nd fob within 1 minute of pressing a button on the 1st fob. Both must be programmed at the same time. If you only have 1 fob then press a button 2 more times to signal that you only have one.
8) The doors will lock/unlock to signal the codes were received.
9) Remove the jumper wire from the data connector.
...and welcome to DF

Old 08-07-2006, 10:09 PM
mario

ok I must be missing something. I grounded pin 1 and 4, turned the vehicle to acc and backed off, and got the door lock unlock signal. I pushed a button on the first fob, and then a different button on the second fob about 15 seconds later. Nothing happens. When I disconnect the grounding wire only one fob works. What am I missing?

Old 08-18-2006, 09:48 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Try it again Mario, this time program the key fob that didn't work the last time. I'm trying to eliminate the possibility of the remote being bad.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Garyok

is this the same way for an 03 ram2500

Old 12-13-2009, 09:29 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest asking the question in the ram section ... As I have no idea as I don't have a ram

Quick Reply: Program keyless transmitter