1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

1999 Dodge Avenger Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 08:45 PM
ZerroDefex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge Avenger Help

Hi All! Thanks in advance for any help / suggestion you may provide.

I have a 1999 Dodge Avenger. About a week ago I was sitting at a stoplight when the car just stopped moving. When I press the gas the car revs up but doesn't go anywhere. When pressing the brake I can "shift" from park to any of the other positions on the shifter with ease but regardless of my selection I can't get the car to move. When shifting I hear that "Bzzzzzz..click" noise which after some reading I believe is the solonoid. Other information that may be relevant is that the same morning when I started the car and shifted to reverse it didn't go anywhere. I shifted the car back into park and allowed it to idle for about a minute. Afterwards the car shifted just fine and was troublefree until it stopped working at the stop light.

I would appreciate any suggestions that you might have.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:47 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: 1999 Dodge Avenger Help

ORIGINAL: ZerroDefex

Hi All! Thanks in advance for any help / suggestion you may provide.
Hi ZerroDefex, welcome to DF
Just curious about the title and the message though. The title states "help" but the message doesn't state any info....?

Old 08-05-2006, 08:49 PM
ZerroDefex

I tabbed down to the submit button and hit "enter" by mistake. I have edited the post with my question!

Thanks for the fast response though!

Old 08-05-2006, 08:53 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Check your tranny fluid for level, color, and smell. How old is the fluid? The racheting and whirring is normal. It sounds like the fluid is done for especially when it gets "too" hot.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:58 PM
ZerroDefex

When the car stopped moving I had it towed home. I immediately purchased a new filter and gasket in addition to several quarts of new fluid that was listed on the dipstick used to check fluid levels. While I'm aware that this changes only a portion of the fluid (maybe half?) I was hoping that it would provide at least some functionality to get it to a local shop for a complete flush. Unfortunately there was no change. After doing a bit of reading several sources have pointed me towards a new input sensor. I have purchased the input sensor but have yet to find resources to show me how to replace it. Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Brian

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Avenger Help