1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Changing the Alternator on a 96 2.0 standard.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 02:27 PM
aarojack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the Alternator on a 96 2.0 standard.

Could someone tell me how to change the alternator on a 96 2.0 standard?I couldnt find a hans manual, had to order one but I need to get this done ASAP.

Someone told me I had to remove the RF tire to access it, and remove the tire well, undo a couple of bolts and you easily slide it out, but I dont belive anything on a car comes out easy.

Has anyone done this before and could give me a quick 1 2 3 shot at what I need to remove?

I belive its under the the steering pump but I cant see down in there.

EDIT:

I found the alternator, its below the timing belt. Why the hell did they put it way back there? Anyways, how do you get it out without cleaning half the motor out?

I see a couple of bolts, and I also noticed there a smaller belt pulling it.

You'd think they would put it up top like most cars.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:25 PM
aarojack
Default RE: Changing the Alternator on a 96 2.0 standard.

I cannot get the alternator off because of a rusty bolt.

You know the botl that actually holds the altornator to the mounting brackett? Well I can get anything on the bolt side, the nut came loose some but its been on there so long I cant get anything on the bolt side.

Can I remove the entire mounting piece, (the 3 bolts that are somewhat on top of each other?

Talking about the 2.0 where in order to get to it you have to go underneath, which is a ****ty place to put it, looks like water screwed it up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd really like to get this car running.

EDIT:

I see now, there's one bolt at the top 2 at the bottom and one with a small (brackett?)
I cant even get to the one on the top with out a lift so I'll just have it hauled.

Thanks anyway,
Aaron

Old 08-09-2006, 10:53 PM
hckyplayer8
Rookie

do you mean a stripped bolt head cuz then just use a damaged bolt socket to get a better grip on the thing n then replace the bolt?

Old 08-12-2006, 02:26 PM
aarojack

Thanks Hckyplayer8,

I managed to get the bolts out, I had the alternator tested at 2 places one place it kept kicking there machine the other said it wasnt producing any amps.

So I replaced the alternator, but that still didnt eliminate my problem. The car simply will not hold a charge, no heat, and the abs light is still on.

I've replaced the battery and alternator and check fuses checked fuses.

I'm lost, I have no idea what else it could be, and I'm already 800 dollars into it and I havent driven it a mile.

No charging, no heat/Air, no ABS, battery light comes on, car shuts off.

If I cant figure this out, I'm going to sell the car so I can atleased get my money back, never had a car give me such a headache.

Thanks for the helps guys,
Aaron

Old 08-12-2006, 07:19 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Hey, I just went through this with mine...different motor though. It turns out that the alternator had a bad bearing and I had a loose connection between the alternator's fusible link and accessory fusible link. Check you connections to the fusebox and the alternator fuse with a good check light or multimeter.

Quick Reply: Changing the Alternator on a 96 2.0 standard.