1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Severe coolant leak...and more?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 09:08 AM
s10diablo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe coolant leak...and more?

First of all i would like to say that I am new here, so i apologize if i am posting in the wrong place.

I was just given a '98 Avenger by a friend because, basically he doesn't want to deal with it...

From his description the car stalled out and wouldn't start, when he checked, it was pouring coolant out from under the engine.

Since i have had it, i tried to refill the coolant. As soon as coolant is put in it pours out the bottom of the engine compartment, from what seems to be near the front (Crank pulley) area. At this point i am assuming it is a problem with the water pump, though i can't really tell with the timing cover on. I would like to hear any other thoughts on this before i go blindly turning wrench.

Also i am woried that if the pump seized up, then it may have thrown the timing severely off as the car will turn over but won't fire up when I attempted to start it. And if this is true, that it may have caused some damage to the valve train.

So my question is is anyone else familiar with this type of issue, or had it happen, that can point me in the right direction, as i can't afford to just throw a bunch of money at it, but i am dying to get this puppy on the road.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:10 AM
s10diablo
Default RE: Severe coolant leak...and more?

sry for the double post ... =(

Old 08-09-2006, 09:33 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The other post has been taken care of.
What motor do you have? Do you have coolant in your oil? Does the water pulley turn at all?
What happened to the car when the other owner had it?...well, besides stalling out and pouring out coolant.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:49 AM
s10diablo

It has the 2.0 I4.

so far as i have gathered from the previous owner, the car was runnning fine before this occurence, with no warning lights and such either.

I don't know if the water pump pulley is turning, i haven't yet removed the timing cover.

And there appears to be no traces of water and oil mixing, such as milkiness, in either the oil or coolant.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:22 PM
avengerdude27
Rookie

the water pump will still turn in the i4 but it will puke all around the shaft....first check the radiator and hoses
easiest thing to do is just take em out hold your hand over the bottom waterneck and fill with water hoses are obvious
if theyre fine go to the waterpipes in the front ...they have a tendancey to rust out
then rinse everything down and allow to dry....attempt to refill coolant and watch block dfrom wheel well and you should be able t find the answer

Old 08-10-2006, 09:21 PM
s10diablo

OK, it is official, u are the man!!!

I have yet to try your above advice, but it makes alot of sense, on my way out the door to try it now, i'll let u know what happens.

Thanks a ton!!!

Old 08-10-2006, 11:58 PM
s10diablo

ok here's the update:

I have now removed the wheel, inner fender well cover, and accessory belts. When i put coolant in it seems to be pouring from behind the crank pulley, i don't see any indicator of it leaking from the water pump area and leaking down from there....please help me?!?
What would this sound like to you as being the cause? ways to test different possibilities? and repair procedures?

Sorry for being such a newb, i really appreciate all the help. thanks.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:41 AM
s10diablo

/bump please

Old 08-11-2006, 07:11 AM
avengerdude27
Rookie

then its gotta be the water pipe or the pump
pipes attach to the back of the pump so they may have rusted like i said or the seal around the pump is gone

Old 08-15-2006, 06:17 AM
s10diablo

ok i have it all torn down now, and it was infact a seized water pump...which leads me to my next question. I have been told by a "mechanic" friend that it will have bent valves now...is this true? and how do i check?
thanks for all the help so far =D

Quick Reply: Severe coolant leak...and more?