1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

replacement catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 06:20 PM
bgm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement catalytic converter

most likely a stupid question, but ill ask it anyways. my cat has a nice hole in it, and i'm gonna need a replacement, however it looks like it has been replaced before, because the flanges have been removed and the cat that's on it now is directly welded to the system. my question is would this magnaflow universal cat not only fit with some cutting and welding, but pass emissions tests? i'm in toronto ontatio if that makes any difference. i'm not looking for performance, just a cheaper replacement.
MAGNAFLOW! - 91000 Series, Catalytic Converter, OBDII Compliant UNIVERSAL, Small Oval, 2" In Or Out, 4" Tall, 6.5" Wide, 9" Body Or 13" Overall Length, May Require Cutting And/Or Welding

Chassis - Engine
Avenger
2.0L, 4 Cylinder, Gas, MFI, VIN "Y", ECF
ES
2.0L, 4 Cylinder, Gas, MFI, VIN "Y", ECF
Avenger
2.5L, V6, Gas, MFI, VIN "N", EEB
ES
2.5L, V6, Gas, MFI, VIN "N", EEB

I have a 1997 avenger sport by the way. any comment would be much appreciated

Old 08-13-2006, 06:42 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: replacement catalytic converter

I wish I could answer that one for you. I have a high flow Magnaflow Cat but I don't have emission checks. I don't see why not though. As long as you buy it locally, I can't see why it wouldn't pass.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:22 AM
bgm

thank's for the input Silver. i'd get one here, but getting it shipped from down there is just a whole lot cheaper, so i'm trying to make sure. also where the hell can i get some seafoam, it seems asthough everwhere i look they dont have any

Old 08-14-2006, 03:26 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You can get them, or should be able to get them from local auto parts stores or maybe just outside of "local". MCCC (Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner) works the same and can be had from....a Dodge Dealership. So, if you can't get one from an auto store, go to Satan.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:40 AM
bgm

hey, thanks Silver, i appreciate the response. i just have one last concern and i dont know if i should start another thread on it or not, but the other day i took a look at my front 3 wires by pulling them off only to find that the first (from left to right) and third had what looked to be almost like an oil residue on the upper part of the wire boot, i noticed it was not present in the middle one, i havnt checked the rear's and the surrounding area also in the valves look clean, should i be looking into new "o" rings? ill try to take pictures as soon as i can. thanks for the time.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:51 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Look down the tube also. By upper part of the wire do you mean the part that is above or below the "cap or hat" or the boot?
I would look into new spark plug tube seals and valve cover seal, since you have to remove the valve cover to get to the S/P/T seals.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:55 AM
bgm

well i looked down the tube, looks clean, by upper i mean the round part that covers the tube. its almost like dried out oil or grease :S but yeah i will look into those seals. thanks for the fast reply

Old 08-15-2006, 04:04 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Take a flashlight to see if you can spot any gaps between the tube and the seal and where it meets the valve cover. The seals are the only things that can allow oil onto the plugs, which can cause arcing too. It sounds like a little gap, just enough for a little bit of pressure to allow it to happen.

Quick Reply: replacement catalytic converter