1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

98 Dodge Avenger ES HELP PLEASE !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:09 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 98 Dodge Avenger ES HELP PLEASE !!!

Normally the CPS takes care of it ...I've found several venges with the white fusible links on the + terminal being corroded cause similar problems

Old 04-08-2007, 01:05 PM
vmay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that the cam or crank sensor you're referring to?

Old 04-08-2007, 01:24 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Crank positioning sensor

Old 05-01-2007, 08:38 PM
vmay

I want to thank everyone for their input on this posting. The crankshaft position sensor did the trick. The car was progressively getting worse about stalling, and then even completely dieing out to where she would have to sit there and wait minutes until it would start again. Please note that it never popped a code, and a “thorough diagnostic†performed by an auto clinic here in town never detected it. The CPS cost $58, and the car is as good as new. Thank you all very much.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:25 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

yes it goes intermittant and wont throw a "fault" code ...

Old 06-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Darthvenger

I also own a 99 Avenger SE (71k miles), and experienced similar problems.When driving, the engine would stallat various speeds - frequently restarting itself due to still being in gear and moving. Rarely, the engine would stall at idle. Regardless, it would crank right back up if it didn't do it itself. This occured randomly and intermittently - without warning! Pretty scarry. I was told byone garage that it was probably the distributor - but since they said it would cost around $1000 parts / $300 laborto replace, I definately wanted some confirmation before repairing - so I did some internet searching. Once Ifound this article, I was even less convinced it was the distributor. Took the vehicle to a different garage, and asked the technician to replace the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) according to the above reccomendation, and voila! Problem fixed. Grand total of $130 bucks part and labor. Since I read that others are spending lots of time and money trying to track this type of problem down- I just wanted to make sure and pass the word.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Darthvenger

BTW - sorry for the typo ... "SE" should be "ES", it's a 2.5L V6 Automatic and I received no check engine light or codes thrown.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:12 AM
dalton295

i have a 98 dodge avenger. its a 2.0 and has a manual transmission. im having problems and have been for several months. i had my engine rebuilt and it drove great for 3 weeks then just quit. i replaced the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor. after the crank sensor it fired right up. i drove it about 6 miles and it quit again. i put a coil pack on it and it drove perfect for a few days then the check engine light would come on and as soon as it did the car would buck. sometimes it would quit and sometimes it wouldnt. if i pull it in neutral the bucking stops. it was doing it everyday and now it just does it when i get the car warm. has anyone had this problem? i need help as soon as possible. thank you!

Old 01-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Killa200
Rookie

My suggestion is to start a new thread instead of diggin up an old one, help you get more responses.

What CEL code / issue are you getting. You need to have it scanned and tell us the results.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:08 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

sounds like the CEL is going to be a misfire code ...

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Avenger ES HELP PLEASE !!!