1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

98 Dodge Avenger ES HELP PLEASE !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:06 PM
dalton295
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had it scanned at autozone and at my dad is a diesel mechanic and he scanned it as well and both keep reading cam position sensor but it is a brand new sensor. its my 3rd one in a month. i bought a new one and it still read cam sensor so i bought the 3rd one and it still reads cam sensor. autozone read cam position sensor defective, or check wiring and connectors, or the engine is out of time. that was the 3 possible issues. but i have had all of that checked and they seem fine??

Old 01-13-2010, 09:31 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK not to beat a dead horse it's not a CPS ... That to me would leave wiring or the sockets ... There should be a voltage on one terminal ... I have the cps testing procedure above test it and see the voltage and ensure it changes ...

No voltage There can be a wire or a relay or a bad socket

Old 01-15-2010, 01:21 AM
dalton295

what do you mean by bad socket? my avenger is still in a garage so ill have him test the wiring. do i need to have all my relays checked? i know my father checked 2 relays that are located by the windsheild wiper fluid i believe. which wires should i check and which terminal? im going tomorrow to by a new car but i would still like to have my avenger running because it was my first car and before all of these problems it ran like a champion

Old 01-15-2010, 06:14 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the socket where the cps plugs in ...
I have the voltages in the cps testing procedure ./.
if there's no voltage then you have to trace back

Old 01-16-2010, 01:24 PM
dalton295

yeah that makes since now lol. okay thank you so much. i will try this and see how it does. if i cant find anything i have a 2.5 v6 engine out of a 99 dodge avenger thats in perfect condition and im just gonna drop my engine and tranny and swap them.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:38 PM
cookiect2003
Default possible fix

I've had this same problem on 3 Chrysler products! It wasn't the crank sensor per se, it WAS the crank sensor CONNECTOR on all 3 cars... 89 Eagle Premier, 94 Intrepid and 95 Stratus. The connector had to come apart and the female pins needed to be squeezed together, put the plastic back together and plugged back in and presto. No more dying Chryslers.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Avenger1996

definitely the crank position sensor my sebring did the same thing i replaced everything distributor included only to find out it was a simple $100 crank sensor

Old 04-22-2010, 02:16 AM
Tiddy427
Rookie

I work at an auto shop and have dealt with numerous cam and crank sensor issues on all kinds of Chrysler vehicles. It seems that anytime we put a cam or crank sensor in that isn't Mopar the thing either fails a week later or doesn't work from the beginning. We put in two crank sensors in a 99 Sebring before finally going with one from the dealer and the Mopar one worked great with no stumbling/sputtering. I have a 95 Avenger 2.0L and had to replace the damn cam sensor twice and the target magnet once before I cured my no start/stalling issue. I also replaced the ECM and did a full tune up. The cam and crank from the dealer gave my car's "*****" back finally...Hope this may help in some way...

Old 08-06-2012, 05:16 PM
whyowhy
Exclamation new cps worked!!!!!!

My dad got a 99 with low miles and ran perfect except the fact it was killing battery's which ended up being something wrong with the electric door lock{will get back to that issue later} haha
The main problem was it would shut down very randomly so I got to reading and found many other people were having the same problem.
This car had been taken to a few different mechanics and the dealership but always with no luck, also no codes being thrown.

I decided to try the cps, should of been new starter relay first but I kinda jumped the gun and went with the new cps, it's been running for a bout a week with no shut down, I might be in the clear for a while as long as only my mom drives it haha.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for giving me very helpful information!!

Old 06-20-2014, 07:01 AM
avenger ES

i searched 98 dodge avenger es shutting off and came to this post.

wifes car shut off 2x in dangerous spots and was afraid of a dealers fee for this fix!

You may be having a crank postition sensor (CPS) issue. A lot of Avenger/Sebrings have this issue at some point
$62 for a crank position sensor it seems to be doing fine. I felt it was worth my time to join here and thank you!

THANK YOU ALL for the info, power of the internet at work here.

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Avenger ES HELP PLEASE !!!