1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

98 Dodge Avenger ES HELP PLEASE !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 02:21 PM
Jimmy Wear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty98dodge
Hi,
I have a 1998 Dodge Avenger ES and I am having some really bad problems. I am 16 years old , I go to school and work and it's hard to do without my car... ANY suggestions are appreciated. I have had someone replace my fuel pump and fuel filter. I have a good battery. My problem is that while driving down the road or while Idling it will just shut off on me... It loses RPM's.Sometimes when it shuts off it will crank back up by itself that is if im going down the road. Once it goes dead sometimes I have to let it sit for like 10 minutes or more but then it eventually cranks back up, but sometimes it goes dead again after that. If I let it Idle and it goes dead I can crank it right back up!!! I dont have any idea what to do about this. If anyone has had the same problems or knows what to do about it then I would appreciate a response. One time when it went dead at an idle i was able to check for spark at the plug wire it had no spark but before i could continue checking things it started sparking and started up. At this time it wont die long enough to check the distributor or other electrical components.
Thanks,
Scotty
SO BEFORE YOU GET ALL IN TO A BUNCH OF CRAP U DONT NEED TO DO.. RAISE THE FRONT END UP WITH A JACK LOCATED ON EITHER SIDE OF THE FRONT UNDERCARRIAGE.. LIE DOWN AND CAREFULLY POSITION YOURSELF UNDER THE RADIATOR AREA.. IF YOU KNOW WHAT THE STARTER IS FIND THE AREA THE WIRES MEET UP WITH IT.. THERE SHOULD BE A THICKER WIRE AND A THIN WIRE.. THE THIN WIRE IS WHAT TO MAKE SURE IS CONNECTED TO THE LITTLE PRONG, MALE CONNECTOR STICKING OUT OF THE STARTER WHERE WIRES CONNECT.. ITS YOUR SWITCH FROM THE IGNITION TO RELAY THEN THE STARTER. IF IT LOOSE OR CORRODED OR NOT ON GOOD YOU HAVE NO GROUND SO THE VEHICLE WILL STALL OR DIE.. hope that helps you out..

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Avenger ES HELP PLEASE !!!