1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

wierd

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 11:33 AM
jakbob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wierd

ok, so three times within the last week my car has stopped running at a light (i stop, sit for about 3-5 minutes, then the engine dies) my problem is, 1. it doesnt throw any CEL lights, or error codes, and, 2. i cant replicate the situation. its not like i can diagnose the problem while there are 20-30 cars behind me at a busy light. so i need your help. tell me what you think it is, and silvercoupe better be on top of this...lol..

Old 08-18-2006, 01:24 PM
jakbob
Default RE: wierd

***UPDATE***

i put a cone intake on and then these problems started...but i also had taken my gauge cluster out and i think i may have knocked the gas gauge to high or something (dumb i know) so im gonna fill it up and calibrate the gauge

i'll let you guys know how it turns out...

Old 08-18-2006, 06:34 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

A failing CPS sensor is known to show sypmtoms like this too.
I would put the stock airfilter and box back for a week and then put the new airfilter the week after to see if the issue comes up more often with the aftermarket filter or if it does it with either.
As for the fuel gauge, that's the correct way, but you may have to fill it until it pours over the side to be as accurate as it was initially...just make sure to wipe it off with a wet towel or something afterwards. You don't have to overfill it really, just get it close

Old 08-18-2006, 09:04 PM
jakbob

true, but i replaced the CPS (assuming that you are talking about the crankshaft position sensor) i put the stock airbox back in....calibrated the gauge...so far no probs...but we will wait for a couple days before the verdict is out...

Old 08-19-2006, 01:08 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Was the filter "wet" with oil? That tends to cause issues. Most new reusable filters usually are dry but I just have to ask.

Old 08-19-2006, 05:16 AM
jakbob

no, but i found out that the filter isnt the problem...i think the distributor is going out....im going to pull it off tomorrow and check it...

Old 08-19-2006, 02:12 PM
jakbob

how would i check the distributor? ignition systems are where im fuzzy...i checked the contacts on the cap and they look good, and the teeth in the rotor (has the arm that spins) looks good....and what are the chances of a clogged fuel filter...

***UPDATE***

well i found out what a code 11 is...and its either one of the CPS's (cam and crank) im going to assume its the cam ps cause i replaced the crank ps already

Old 08-21-2006, 08:53 AM
jakbob

yeah so it was the CKPS...the spacer (or w/e its called) on the tip sheared off...i made sure to space it correctly this time to not have it shear...so yeah...its all good...

Old 08-21-2006, 09:29 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm confused Jakbob, do you have an I4 or V6. It sounds like you have an I4 because they have both a camshaft sensor and a crankshaft sensor whereas the V6 has a crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor is built into the distributor and you mentioned both. Then again it sounds like a V6 because you had a paper spacer on the tip of the sensor, unless the I4 use paper spacers too. Sorry bro, there's been a small influx of Avenger issues lately, it's getting hard to remember who has what, lol.
...and you didn't state that you had a MIL code 11 earlier

Old 08-22-2006, 11:54 PM
jakbob

yeah mybad...i got the v6...when i said it might be the cam sensor i meant to say that i thought that the sensor in the distributor was going bad...anyway, it works...its awesome..

Quick Reply: wierd