1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Hi there.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 03:51 AM
red97avenger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi there.

Hey there. I'm quite new here, and I'm about to buy a '97 Avenger with the V6 auto. At least I think. The guy who found the car hasn't been under the hood, so it might be the I4. But we know it's automatic lol.

I've done a lot of research on this car. A lot. I've been looking into one of these cars for like, 1.5 years lol. They may possibly be my favourite cars (that I can afford lol).

Now, I've just got a few questions, if anyone would be so kind as to help me out. I've heard they're REALLY slow off the line, but kick it up a few notches once they hit 3rd gear. Is this true? Is this just the gear ratio? How can I add a bit more acceleration?

Now, I've heard it can be tough to find parts for this car (Keep in mind, I live in Canada, so this could be different in the States, not sure). I was just wondering where I could find some performance parts for this particular Avenger? For instance, a chip, or intake, even exhaust or headers. Like, I've been looking for a while, and all I can find is prices, not any actual information on how these parts effect performance or add/take away from HP or speed. Is there a site or book out there where I can compare a stock intake to a performance one, or have it tell me how it effects HP? Christ, it's been getting frustrating lol.

On a closing note, I'd appreciate any help. I plan to kick around this community for a while, seems like a good place. I also wanted to say, I LOVE Avengers. lol. For some reason, the looks, the half import half domestic, the interior is so nice ... oh yes, and best of all, DODGE. lol.

Thanks for any helps guys.
-Paul

Old 08-20-2006, 04:39 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: Hi there.

Hi Paul and welcome to DF.

If you've got an I4 in mind, then there are plenty of "go fast" products for the 420a. I've got a several links at the top of this forum.
Just know that there isn't a "chip" for our ECUs. The only thing that add serious HP is forced induction. The I4 or even the V6 just can't squeeze enough power for an "all motor" modification unless you spend a ton of cash on it...inversely, you can spend a few thousand and get just as much +. Yes, a few $k...it's that saying.."you gotta pay to play". I also wouldn't worry about it being an auto so much as most people do because there are mods for an auto to help it along + you'll never miss a shift.
Though an exhaust, intake, and header will help relieve breathing issues for the motor, it's a very small gain for so much money IMO. Although, those items may be just what you want.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:50 AM
red97avenger

Hey thanks man, appreciate it. I've been reading a few threads here, and you seem to really know your stuff. If I may, you say 'we' a lot? You work for Dodge? Hope that's not too personal.

Sorry, I'm kind of a beginner when it comes to cars. Always been interested, just busy with school and what-not. So bear with me if some of my quesitons seem obvious. Just got a job at a shop actually, learning quite a bit. Didn't even know what a bounce test was!!! [8D]

What exactly do you mean by 'forced induction'? Over-all power isn't really my concern, I'm not much of a racer, although I gotta say, like all of us, I like speed . However, I was just looking for a bit of pick-up off the line. I'm already checking out the sites you pointed me in the direction of, just wondering what in-particular you had in mind.

I've got a lot of ideas for exterior cosmetics (under-glow, even though it's illegal in Canada lol, tint, rims, the basics) but that's just cosmetics. Even I know looks are only half of the car!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I'll take a look now at those sites. Thanks very much man!
-Paul

Old 08-20-2006, 05:20 AM
hckyplayer8
Rookie

forced induction is the art of spending alotv cash and time in order to get alotv hp.......just kidding even tho that is partly true....forced induction is either adding a turbo or supercharger of sum sort onto your car....also some ppl call the addition of a nos kit ( nitrious oxside system) forced induction tho its more like "happy super gas" for your car if you will....all three have there advantages and dis advantages tho nos is illegal for street use ( i dont kno wut the laws up there are) turbos would be ur best bet for performance but are more pricey and harder to install and kept mainted....if u want info on y that is just ask.....superchargers would be your next bet for hp......welcome to df and yes if you want 2 kno sumthing this guy- silvercoupe97- is your best bet 2 go 2

Old 08-20-2006, 08:52 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: red97avenger

Hey thanks man, appreciate it. I've been reading a few threads here, and you seem to really know your stuff. If I may, you say 'we' a lot? You work for Dodge? Hope that's not too personal.

Sorry, I'm kind of a beginner when it comes to cars. Always been interested, just busy with school and what-not. So bear with me if some of my quesitons seem obvious. Just got a job at a shop actually, learning quite a bit. Didn't even know what a bounce test was!!! [8D]

What exactly do you mean by 'forced induction'? Over-all power isn't really my concern, I'm not much of a racer, although I gotta say, like all of us, I like speed . However, I was just looking for a bit of pick-up off the line. I'm already checking out the sites you pointed me in the direction of, just wondering what in-particular you had in mind.

I've got a lot of ideas for exterior cosmetics (under-glow, even though it's illegal in Canada lol, tint, rims, the basics) but that's just cosmetics. Even I know looks are only half of the car!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I'll take a look now at those sites. Thanks very much man!
-Paul
I ususally refer to "we" meaning myself and the poster or the other posters in the thread. I say we a lot at home too because I have a 2.5 year old, so "we" refers to myself and my son. You can talk to any parent with a toddler and I bet they say "we" also, lol. I don't work for Dodge or any other dealership btw, just a car enthusiast
The resource post I was referring to was actually to help steer you to what we have available for our cars from the exterior, interior, and motor. All of which are tried and liked by the Avenger/Sebring community and to include 2nd generation Mitsubishi Eclipses and Eagle Talons (the 420a powered ones). You should also know, if you don't already, the 2nd gen Eclipse and Eagle Talon interiors can and has been used in our interiors, such as the door panels, the entire dash, and center console.
If you look closer at the online shops you'll find the items you were referring to ealier....header, intake, exhaust items. Those will give you a little more zip
As for parts...I couldn't answer that one for you, but parts that are plentiful in the states can be shipped to Canada too

Oh yeah, Hckyplayer8 summed up forced induction. Here's a wiki for it also... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_induction.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:45 AM
cass813

I have had my venge for almost 4 years and loved it!! I think the biggest mistake people make though when they get them is they forget to do the maintance on the car! Make sure you keep the tranny fluid changed! the motor mount in the front goes out, all the belts and water pump while your in there, gaskets gaskets and MORE gaskets! If the car won't start intermittenly thats a relay on the firewall ... umm thinking, don't forget to put a new pcv valve on it too when you tune it up! So many times I see people spending hundreds on costmetics when they first get the car only to have the thing explode because they didn't do some maintance on it! I have never had terrible problems with the car. Just get the manual and it will show you how to fix it. I have learned on my 4 cyc. pretty easy!

I have done just bolt on mods, I think my car zips! I've managed to find some universal parts for it. People don't realize its only a 4! If you can get one the 4cyc manual is the best and possibly the most sought after!

Old 08-30-2006, 04:58 AM
red97avenger

Lol, thanks for the advice =P I know I said I was new to cars in general, but I DO work in a shop, and did grow up in a mechanics family. I know about maintence, in fact, my girlfriend complains I obsess! lol. When I said new to cars, I meant engine. lol.

Erm, there is, however, a slight change in plans. The red Avenger I was looking at fell through ... hard. Turns out, it was actually a '95, it wasn't the ES model as I was told, had 230 thousand kilometers (keep in mind, we use kilometers here in Can. I could be wrong, but I believe that's around 300 thousand miles. I'm not good with that conversion, so I'm probably way off there.) instead of the 130 thousand I was told it had, and beat to Hell and back. Chipped paint, the typical foggy lights, no door handles lol. In other words, it was a beater.

However, I still want an Avenger, quite badly, and am still looking. I've found two or three now I'm planning on test driving this week, but they're so damn rare in my city, they're hard to find. Aaaanyways.

I'm still lookin, and thanks again for all your help. I'll post back when I have more info.

Quick Reply: Hi there.